Travel meals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jabbur

Master Chef
When you're on a long car trip, what do you like to take for snacks and in-car meals?

We take sub sandwiches for the meals and we usually have a variety of snacks. Some are things we don't normally have at home so they are special for the trip.

Peanut M&M's, Oreos, pretzel nuggets, cheese cubes, grapes, Pringles.

Mods- if this would be better in another forum, please move it.

We don't usually eat meals in the car, we stop somewhere.

For snacks I like beef jerky or Utz thin pretzels.

I like air-popped popcorn with curry powder on it; carrot and celery sticks. Cheese and apples. I like to keep the "petal to the metal" and only stop when I must stop.

ever since i was young, i loved to see (and sample, like a cafone) the road snacks that travelling companions have brought along, especially long trips to vermont, pennsylvania, and maryland.

my family almost can't make a long car trip without pretzel rods or nuggets, some kind of cheese (string mozzarella, sharp cheddar, smoked gouda, etc.), trail mix or just gorp, beef jerky, and dried fruit such as mango or apricots

some of the best others offered were: cubes of lebanon balogna and swiss cheese, hot cappicola bread, prosciutto wrapped melon, apple slices and cheddar, dried garlic crostinis, sesame breadsticks and hummus, and scones with honey.

Pretzels, Fresh Fruit Salad, Cheese, Bread or Crackers, Green Salad, Turkey or Tuna Sandwiches, Cookies, Nature Valley Peanut Butter Granola Bars...

Last edited:
We usually have pizza the night before a roadtrip since we are busy prepping. We bring the leftovers. We also do Salumi,cheese,nuts,dried fruits and jerky. Blueberry poppers,dried coconut,individual almond butter foil packs from Justin's and some crackers.

The same things are used when we go hiking.

chewy dried bananas,cold cooked pork sausages & "new york deli style"(apologies guy's!)pork pie off the deli counter in tesco.it's a pork pie that's baked with a layer of pork,layer of pastrami,layer of dill mustard,another layer of pork then a layer of sliced pickled cukes:yum:!

We don't bring snacks on trips. We also rarely snack at home. We'll stop for lunch and try to find something light. As we get older, a long car ride with a lot of food sitting in our stomachs, is very uncomfortable. Also goes directly to the hips.

Having gone cross country three times, one time in a moving van, we always bought a small Styrofoam chest, placed ice in it and any perishables we bought along the way, went in it. I would make sandwiches as we went along. I always tried to buy cold cuts and cheese mostly for the protein. A small jar of mayo, just enough to get us across the country. Sometimes when we stopped for gas, I would pick up a bar of candy or two for each of us. For drinks it was bottled water or lemonade. No caffeine.

We would stop at busy truck rest stops. They are usually well lit and there often was a security person there. We would wash up in the rest room. On the trip in the moving van, our backsides were so numb, that we took a day off from driving so we could get some feeling back in it. And to stretch our legs really good. Would I do it again? You can bet on it. It was always fun. :)

Dried fruit
Nuts
Bread rolls
cheese cubes
crackers
Grapes
Tangarines

Anything, that you dont need a knife, plates and a bunch of other stuff, to prepare it with before eating.

:)

Mostly bottled water. We usually stop for a bite, or bring a cooler & pull over. I don't like crumbs & food in the car.

For picnics, trips to the beach, mountains, waterfalls, National Forrests or Parks, I pack a cooler w/ oodles of goodies.

Cold fried chicken, mac and/or potato salad, coleslaw

Pan Bagnats/tuna or salmon nicoise sandwiches

Gazpacho

Gazpacho Sandwiches:
Mixed pear/grape/cherry tomatoes, sliced cucumbers, red onion, chopped or sliced green pepper rings, mozzarella cheese, oil & red wine vinegar, fresh basil on baguettes. Make ahead several hours.

Caprese Sandwiches on baguettes

Grapes, strawberries, apples - whatever is in season

A little bubbly ;-)

Last edited:
Don't really snack on road trips. For an all day dive trip we would bring some type of cheese and smoked sausage with melon chunks to go with. It gets a nice additional flavor when the bags get coated with fish and lobster slime!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::yum:

It's hard to find healthy food when traveling, so we usually bring along fruit and sandwiches in the cooler.

When your destination is five or six days away, you can't afford to stop and eat in a restaurant every meal time. Yet you want food that is somewhat filling. Sandwiches with meat and sometimes a tomato and a lettuce leaf seemed to fill the bill. We also carried a salt and pepper set. The little ones that you take on a picnic. By the third trip, I was an old hand at feeding the driver. A couple of times we went to a supermarket and I saw a couple of peaches. Bad choice. Lots of juice running down your arm. I learned real quick to take a cloth and using the water in the cooler, to have handy for wipe ups. I also picked up once, a container of store potato salad. Not my favorite food, but one can't always be choosy. The vehicle was our home for almost a week. The most I spent on each trip was around $30-$35 for the whole trip. That's a little more than $5.00 a day. There were little unexpected extras. Like plastic utensils, paper plates. We kept the first bottles of water and just filled them up again when we stopped. Some places have real lousy drinking water. Each trip sure was an education. It's a good thing we didn't commit any crimes. Our Boston accent made us easy to identify.

I'll be heading out this afternoon for my grocery run for the trip. Since my son works the deli at WalMart, he made up a bunch of their sub sandwiches for us. I'll cut those up into more manageable sections and we'll have those for lunch. We'll stop somewhere for a meal at dinner time. I have some bottled water already from taking it to school. I also have some raspberry white tea for me. I have problems with carbonated beverages straight from the can. Too much fizz. It's about a 12 hr trip to Ann Arbor so tomorrow will be sitting in the car all day.

We usually munch on chips or beef jerky - sandwiches if I'm feeling ambitious prior to the road trip.

Drinks consist of coffee for me, water for my fella.

If we're spending the night somewhere along the way, we might pop into the local pub for some brews & grub.

The first long trip I ever took I was pregnant. I consulted my doctor and he was concerned with my developing constipation. So we had to stop every two hours, so I could bend, stretch, and walk a little. I think I have seen every single rest stop across the country. They didn't have bottled water at that time. Sometimes the water was so bad I couldn't even stand the smell of it. Other towns they had good water. So we would fill up the gallon jug. :angel:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom