TX - Austin ... Good Eats?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Toots

Head Chef
My hubby & I are going to be in Austin this w/end. Can anyone recommend good (but not too expensive) places to eat? We're keen to try Tex-Mex places and get some BBQ.

Well, it's too late to make any suggestions (not that I have any, anyway :() Where did yall end up going? Did you find good tex-mex and good BBQ? I really like Austin, and really, really like Baby's Purple Margaritas. Unfortunately, it's been several years since I've been there.

ps8 said:
Well, it's too late to make any suggestions (not that I have any, anyway :() Where did yall end up going? Did you find good tex-mex and good BBQ? I really like Austin, and really, really like Baby's Purple Margaritas. Unfortunately, it's been several years since I've been there.
Before our trip, I read Kinky Friedman's guide to Austin and the Chowhound boards. We ate at some great places on the trip!

We ate at:
lunch at Huts - a hamburger joint downtown that is an Austin institution, been there since 1939.

Dinner at Guerros - Mexican place on South Congress, food and service was wonderful. After dinner, we walked down to the Congress Street bridge and watched the bats take off - cool.

We also managed to drink at several fine Austin establishments in the 6th Street and Warehouse Districts.

Gospel brunch at Stubbs BBQ - this was awesome! Good brisket and a neat BBQ/tex mex buffet and really good singers. It was alot of fun. My hubby and I even got on the stage and sang with the gospel group - yet, no alcohol was involved.....:)

Toured the Whole Foods HQ - OK, I almost passed out when I went in their flagship store downtown. I had major sensory overload. We got carryout from Whole Foods and we took it to Zilker Park and had a picnic and watched the sun go down.

We had BBQ at the County Line before heading back to the airport.

Austin rocks - we loved it!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom