"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Road Food
Old 05-17-2006, 04:49 AM   #11
Master Chef
I know I'm too late for you, but the best food isn't at the Riverwalk or Mercado, but unknown little places in strip malls. That applies to virtually every town in the US these days. That said, you cannot miss the River Walk, period. I've travelled just about all of the United States, so trust me when I say it is one of our great treasures. We decided that a barbecue place was the best food there. If you are a bar fly (I am, decidedly) there is a bar in an old hotel near the Alamo, where Teddy Roosevelt drafted many of his Rough-Riders. I love historic old hotels. The Alamo is only a disappointment if you don't like real history, just like the Disney version. People tend to not know that the Alamo is just an old church, a little place like many other old Spanish mission churches. To me it doesn't subtract from it, it adds to it. I love the old mission roads and churches. If you are into this kind of stuff, there is a map available that connects all of the old mission churches in the area ... they are so close (yes, including the Alamo) that you can drive it in an hour or so, and could hike it a day.

Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 09:52 AM   #12
Executive Chef
Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Sorry I missed this thread the first time around... I lived in San Antonio around the later half of the last decade. And in San Antonio, Tex-Mex cuisine is highly recommended more than anything else. I lived way out in the north western part near the medical centre, and I am not too familiar with the downtown area, but from the touristy Riverwalk area, Acenàr stood out in my opinion, from the quality of the food and the atmosphere. It is a bit off from the centre of hubbub, so a bit more quiet. Walk a few minute further PAST the better known and perpetually crowded "Rio Rio Cantina".. but there are a lot of "hole in the wall" type mexican joints if you can be bothered to wander off, even just a little from the touristy spot, where you can enjoy more authentic Mexican food for less.

urmaniac13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 12:25 PM   #13
It's okay, we just got back yesterday actually and ended up going to a place in the Mercado called Mi Tierra. It was a really good Tex-Mex place and we did get to go to the Riverwalk. Everything was great down there except the hotel we stayed at but other than that I'd definetly would go back for a longer trip since there was so much to see.
Confucius-"Everyone eats and drinks; yet only few appreciate the taste of food"
Sugar N' Spice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 12:37 PM   #14
Sous Chef
Send a message via Yahoo to vyapti
I'm glad to hear you had a good time. I going down there in August and appreciate any input or suggestions that you have.
vyapti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 02:45 PM   #15
Go to the Riverwalk for sure, everyone will tell you that though. Also, take a walk downtown and around the Mercado. Another thing to do if you are staying at a hotel is check out any brochures they have in the lobby for tours or other attractions around San Antonio. I found that there was alot more to do that I didn't know about like Ghost Tours, Cave Tours, and Safari Tours. Not sure if you've ever been to Sea World but the one down there isn't that great compared to the ones in California and Florida. Overall, it's a great place to visit and be prepared for hot weather in August!
Confucius-"Everyone eats and drinks; yet only few appreciate the taste of food"
Sugar N' Spice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 01:24 PM   #16
Executive Chef
Originally Posted by Mylegsbig
La Fogata is some of the best mexican food i've ever had.

If you like Sushi, Sushihana and Zushi Sushi are fantastic.

As for the city itsself, it sucks.
Totally agree with that statement. Don't enjoy the place but I am going there tonight for long enough time to have dinner and I am thankful for La Fogata and Acenar and will ask the Concierge about it. Hopefully, I'll get thumbs up from him too.

Okay, jury is in on my opinion. La Fogato was too far to be taken by van driver. I settled for AceNar and it was good. The margarita was bland and didn't taste of tequila but then, I guess my sites are too high for most places. I wouldn't go there again. The wait staff was slow to greet me or come to my table and that all adds up to me.

...Trials travel best when you're taking the transportation known as prayer...SLRC
LEFSElover is offline   Reply With Quote