TX - San Antonio ... where to eat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My boyfriend and I are taking a short trip for about 3 days to San Antonio sometime next month and I'm wondering if anybody can tell me about some good restraunts out there. We like sushi, steaks, mexican, and just about any asian foods. Also if anyone has a good suggestion for Irish pubs or attractions too that would be helpful. Thanks!

Hi Sugar N' Spice I am not sure where you are staying. We stayed close to the River Walk and there are several nice restaurants there. I ate at a local Seafood joint (cant remember the name now but I know it was really busy) and the food was really good.

Just take a stroll down there and you will be in no shortage of good places to eat. I also remember going to the mexican open market (not sure where it was now) but that place was charming and had a lot of authentic mexican food joints. Since i don't eat pork and most of it used lard I had to pass on them but they looked delicious and spicy.

Me Too, Me Too!

I'll be at a conference in late August. So far, all I've heard is "be prepared to sweat." I've lived in areas with little hispanic influence for two years now and I'm looking forward to authentic mexican food again (hopefully).

It's been years since we were in SA but I remember the Market Place, down town..Wonderful place we ate had the most lucious stuffed pablano peppers, meat, potato, peppers,onion, fantastic. We also went to a place called La Fogata I believe, that is where I had my first enchilada swissa, chicken enchilada, green sauce, my drink had a baby orchid in it..Waiter chose for me:LOL: We were treated to our first Tex-Mex meal byt the drug company who was hosting the event. We both loved River Walk and took the boat ride several times..We loved SA so much we thought quite seriously of moving there!!! Enjoy your trip and the wonderful food and people, Oh yes we went to our first Fudruckers there:ROFLMAO:

kadesma

There is a place on the riverwalk called Boudreaux that has excellent food and great prickley pear margaritas!!!!

The place we are staying at says it was near the Riverwalk, downtown, and the Alamo. I've been to the Riverwalk a few years ago and remember there being a ton of different restraunts but wasn't sure which ones were the best. It looks like we'll have to stop by that Market Place for sure, it sounds really good. It's just so hard to choose, but we'll be there for a few days so I'm sure we'll get to try several places out. Just keep the suggestions coming! :)

I've heard that the Alamo is a major disappointment. Since my kids aren't coming, I think i'll be skipping it. Besides, it'll give more time to eat. :pig:

La Fogata is some of the best mexican food i've ever had.

If you like Sushi, Sushihana and Zushi Sushi are fantastic.

As for the city itsself, it sucks.

vyapti said:
I've heard that the Alamo is a major disappointment. Since my kids aren't coming, I think i'll be skipping it. Besides, it'll give more time to eat. :pig:
We stayed at a place right next door to the Alamo, we were beat fell into bed about 12:30, not long after, we awake to cannon blasts,gun shots, bringing us both out of bed with a roar..Nuts, only filming a movie next door:ROFLMAO: :LOL: :ROFLMAO: We did enjoy the Alamo, history has a way of slowly pulling you in and your imagination does the rest...
I'm glad we saw the Alamo, our kids loved it.

kadesma

I know I'm too late for you, but the best food isn't at the Riverwalk or Mercado, but unknown little places in strip malls. That applies to virtually every town in the US these days. That said, you cannot miss the River Walk, period. I've travelled just about all of the United States, so trust me when I say it is one of our great treasures. We decided that a barbecue place was the best food there. If you are a bar fly (I am, decidedly) there is a bar in an old hotel near the Alamo, where Teddy Roosevelt drafted many of his Rough-Riders. I love historic old hotels. The Alamo is only a disappointment if you don't like real history, just like the Disney version. People tend to not know that the Alamo is just an old church, a little place like many other old Spanish mission churches. To me it doesn't subtract from it, it adds to it. I love the old mission roads and churches. If you are into this kind of stuff, there is a map available that connects all of the old mission churches in the area ... they are so close (yes, including the Alamo) that you can drive it in an hour or so, and could hike it a day.

Sorry I missed this thread the first time around... I lived in San Antonio around the later half of the last decade. And in San Antonio, Tex-Mex cuisine is highly recommended more than anything else. I lived way out in the north western part near the medical centre, and I am not too familiar with the downtown area, but from the touristy Riverwalk area, Acenàr stood out in my opinion, from the quality of the food and the atmosphere. It is a bit off from the centre of hubbub, so a bit more quiet. Walk a few minute further PAST the better known and perpetually crowded "Rio Rio Cantina".. but there are a lot of "hole in the wall" type mexican joints if you can be bothered to wander off, even just a little from the touristy spot, where you can enjoy more authentic Mexican food for less.

It's okay, we just got back yesterday actually and ended up going to a place in the Mercado called Mi Tierra. It was a really good Tex-Mex place and we did get to go to the Riverwalk. Everything was great down there except the hotel we stayed at but other than that I'd definetly would go back for a longer trip since there was so much to see.

I'm glad to hear you had a good time. I going down there in August and appreciate any input or suggestions that you have.

Go to the Riverwalk for sure, everyone will tell you that though. Also, take a walk downtown and around the Mercado. Another thing to do if you are staying at a hotel is check out any brochures they have in the lobby for tours or other attractions around San Antonio. I found that there was alot more to do that I didn't know about like Ghost Tours, Cave Tours, and Safari Tours. Not sure if you've ever been to Sea World but the one down there isn't that great compared to the ones in California and Florida. Overall, it's a great place to visit and be prepared for hot weather in August!

Mylegsbig said:
La Fogata is some of the best mexican food i've ever had.

If you like Sushi, Sushihana and Zushi Sushi are fantastic.

As for the city itsself, it sucks.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Totally agree with that statement. Don't enjoy the place but I am going there tonight for long enough time to have dinner and I am thankful for La Fogata and Acenar and will ask the Concierge about it. Hopefully, I'll get thumbs up from him too.

Okay, jury is in on my opinion. La Fogato was too far to be taken by van driver. I settled for AceNar and it was good. The margarita was bland and didn't taste of tequila but then, I guess my sites are too high for most places. I wouldn't go there again. The wait staff was slow to greet me or come to my table and that all adds up to me.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom