"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Road Food

Old 04-20-2006, 12:31 PM   #1
Cook

TX - San Antonio ... where to eat?

My boyfriend and I are taking a short trip for about 3 days to San Antonio sometime next month and I'm wondering if anybody can tell me about some good restraunts out there. We like sushi, steaks, mexican, and just about any asian foods. Also if anyone has a good suggestion for Irish pubs or attractions too that would be helpful. Thanks!

Old 04-20-2006, 12:40 PM   #2
Head Chef

Hi Sugar N' Spice I am not sure where you are staying. We stayed close to the River Walk and there are several nice restaurants there. I ate at a local Seafood joint (cant remember the name now but I know it was really busy) and the food was really good.

Just take a stroll down there and you will be in no shortage of good places to eat. I also remember going to the mexican open market (not sure where it was now) but that place was charming and had a lot of authentic mexican food joints. Since i don't eat pork and most of it used lard I had to pass on them but they looked delicious and spicy.

Old 04-20-2006, 12:51 PM   #3
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to vyapti
Me Too, Me Too!

I'll be at a conference in late August. So far, all I've heard is "be prepared to sweat." I've lived in areas with little hispanic influence for two years now and I'm looking forward to authentic mexican food again (hopefully).
Old 04-20-2006, 01:26 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

It's been years since we were in SA but I remember the Market Place, down town..Wonderful place we ate had the most lucious stuffed pablano peppers, meat, potato, peppers,onion, fantastic. We also went to a place called La Fogata I believe, that is where I had my first enchilada swissa, chicken enchilada, green sauce, my drink had a baby orchid in it..Waiter chose for me We were treated to our first Tex-Mex meal byt the drug company who was hosting the event. We both loved River Walk and took the boat ride several times..We loved SA so much we thought quite seriously of moving there!!! Enjoy your trip and the wonderful food and people, Oh yes we went to our first Fudruckers there

kadesma
Old 04-20-2006, 01:42 PM   #5
Master Chef

There is a place on the riverwalk called Boudreaux that has excellent food and great prickley pear margaritas!!!!
Old 04-20-2006, 01:53 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

Me too!

We are going late in June.
Old 04-20-2006, 02:53 PM   #7
Cook

The place we are staying at says it was near the Riverwalk, downtown, and the Alamo. I've been to the Riverwalk a few years ago and remember there being a ton of different restraunts but wasn't sure which ones were the best. It looks like we'll have to stop by that Market Place for sure, it sounds really good. It's just so hard to choose, but we'll be there for a few days so I'm sure we'll get to try several places out. Just keep the suggestions coming! :)
Old 04-20-2006, 03:04 PM   #8
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to vyapti
I've heard that the Alamo is a major disappointment. Since my kids aren't coming, I think i'll be skipping it. Besides, it'll give more time to eat.
Old 04-20-2006, 03:09 PM   #9
Head Chef

La Fogata is some of the best mexican food i've ever had.

If you like Sushi, Sushihana and Zushi Sushi are fantastic.

As for the city itsself, it sucks.
Old 04-20-2006, 07:19 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by vyapti
I've heard that the Alamo is a major disappointment. Since my kids aren't coming, I think i'll be skipping it. Besides, it'll give more time to eat.
We stayed at a place right next door to the Alamo, we were beat fell into bed about 12:30, not long after, we awake to cannon blasts,gun shots, bringing us both out of bed with a roar..Nuts, only filming a movie next door We did enjoy the Alamo, history has a way of slowly pulling you in and your imagination does the rest...
I'm glad we saw the Alamo, our kids loved it.

kadesma

Tags
texas