"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Road Food

Old 03-19-2007, 03:54 PM   #21
Sous Chef

Ok...I know there is one in Austin (from reading this thread). Where are Whole Foods located? Would I be able to Google and locate? Thanks

Old 03-19-2007, 04:28 PM   #22
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to mraa Send a message via Yahoo to mraa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aria
Ok...I know there is one in Austin (from reading this thread). Where are Whole Foods located? Would I be able to Google and locate? Thanks
Check your PM's. I sent you some info there.

Old 04-17-2007, 02:44 AM   #23
Senior Cook

TJs is better IMHO (TJs = Trader Joes)
Old 04-17-2007, 08:56 AM   #24
Sous Chef

I'd be hard pressed to choose the best of these two - love them both!!
Old 06-04-2007, 03:54 PM   #25
Master Chef

I love both Whole Foods and Trader Joes and wish there was one or the other near me. As it is, a trip to Madison means a stop and whole foods, and a friend who has a vacation home here but lives in Chicago shows up regularly with treats from Whole Foods. If you are lucky enough to have regular access to both, lucky, lucky you!
Old 06-04-2007, 04:04 PM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking
Iíll definitely be back to this particular Whole Foods. Itís about an hourís drive from me if I go during off-peak traffic hours, but even with gas prices, itís worth it.
Visited this very same WF for the first time a few weekends ago. Breezy's review is spot on.

If they don't have it, you don't need it!
Old 06-06-2007, 09:52 AM   #27
Assistant Cook

i am a hugggggggggggeeeeeee fan of whole foods!! we go to the one on duke st. i've never been to the fairfax one, but will have to check it out!
Old 06-06-2007, 10:42 AM   #28
Master Chef

Yes - all the Whole Foods stores are great, but this new Fairfax one is way over the top. What I could do with a free shopping spree in that place - lol!!

We visited the Whole Foods in Charlottesville, VA, a couple of weeks ago, & while it's an older store & not as fabulous as the new Fairfax one, I still came home with some samphire, a HUGE bunch of fresh dill, a wonderful fresh wild Alaskan salmon filet (to go with the dill - lol!), some ricotta insalata (sliceable ricotta), "Drunken Goat" cheese (goat cheese with a dry red wine rind), some turkey ham, flavored turkey sausages, frozen squid, & a spinach & feta foccacia.

They had absolutely gorgeous extra-large morel mushrooms, but they were $12.99 for 4 packaged mushrooms totalling around 3 ounces, so I passed. They were, however, definitely large enough for stuffing, so perhaps another time (when I don't have the husband in tow - lol!!!!!).
Old 06-09-2007, 06:54 AM   #29
Master Chef

There also used to be a place in Old Town Alexandria (where I lived at the time) called Sutton Place Gourmet. It was very expensive, but what a great place. When Mom and Dad came to spend Christmas with us one year, we took them there to shop, and they just about died from pleasure. What we bought was a New England Clambake package. My dad was looking and pointing at this, that, and the other thing. I remember this with such pleasure because now Mom can barely eat, and Dad is down to basic foods. But at the time we had a lot more $$ than we have now, so when they'd sigh over something, we'd buy it, take it home, and cook it. Yes, expensive, but if you're getting a restaurant quality meal at home, then it is worth it.
Old 06-21-2007, 09:30 AM   #30
Assistant Cook

We call it "Whole Paycheck"

I frequent the Farmer's Markets in Maryland and get most of my produce there unless I grow it myself. I'm not a big fan of Whole Foods, I find the sausages are too dry, not enough of a fat content to keep it moist after cooking it on the grill. I did buy a whole suckling pig there once, all 66 pounds of it, it only took 7 people to eat it down to the bone.

Tags
virginia