"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Road Food

Old 03-25-2010, 12:22 AM   #11
Assistant Cook

Bardo is my favorite, I think. Really good, talented chef and amazing, relaxing atmosphere. it has an interesting, creative, Asian and Indian inspired small plates menu and a great bar menu. It is suitable for a special occasion or casual, lunch or dinner and doesn't have to be that pricey.
Rom Thai in Ward's Corner and the new one downtown on Granby, Rama Gargen, are both great. "Everbody's" favorite Thai is Bangkok Garden but I think it is over rated compared to those two. I've never eaten at Siam 21

Old 03-25-2010, 10:16 AM   #12
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by joanaugusts View Post
Bardo is my favorite, I think. Really good, talented chef and amazing, relaxing atmosphere. it has an interesting, creative, Asian and Indian inspired small plates menu and a great bar menu. It is suitable for a special occasion or casual, lunch or dinner and doesn't have to be that pricey.
Rom Thai in Ward's Corner and the new one downtown on Granby, Rama Gargen, are both great. "Everbody's" favorite Thai is Bangkok Garden but I think it is over rated compared to those two. I've never eaten at Siam 21
Those sound great! Are they all local mom and pop places? And do you know any similiar places on the peninsula as well?

Old 08-08-2010, 08:47 AM   #13
Master Chef

I found a new restaurant last night that is fabulous! The Water's Edge is at the end of Deep Creek Road off Warwick. It sits next to the James River Marina. I've always loved the spot. We used to eat there 15-20 years ago but the family run place closed and none of the reincarnations were any good. We decided to try it out. We started with an appetizer of smoked gouda potato pancakes. They were lightly fried balls of mashed potato with a center of smoked gouda. Wonderful texture and flavors. I had the fried seafood platter. The oysters melted in my mouth (I usually don't care much for oysters), the scallops were awesome, the shrimp divine and the founder was the best fish I have ever had. The lightly breaded and fried fish was mild but seasoned well and fall-apart tender. I didn't get to the crab cake last night so had to bring it and half of the fish home. My DH had the rib eye steak and he raved about it too. The service was great, the views awesome of the marina at sunset and the price was reasonable ($60 including tip for 2). If you get the chance, try it out!
Old 08-08-2010, 09:46 AM   #14
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbur View Post
I found a new restaurant last night that is fabulous! The Water's Edge is at the end of Deep Creek Road off Warwick. It sits next to the James River Marina. I've always loved the spot. We used to eat there 15-20 years ago but the family run place closed and none of the reincarnations were any good. We decided to try it out. We started with an appetizer of smoked gouda potato pancakes. They were lightly fried balls of mashed potato with a center of smoked gouda. Wonderful texture and flavors. I had the fried seafood platter. The oysters melted in my mouth (I usually don't care much for oysters), the scallops were awesome, the shrimp divine and the founder was the best fish I have ever had. The lightly breaded and fried fish was mild but seasoned well and fall-apart tender. I didn't get to the crab cake last night so had to bring it and half of the fish home. My DH had the rib eye steak and he raved about it too. The service was great, the views awesome of the marina at sunset and the price was reasonable ($60 including tip for 2). If you get the chance, try it out!
Sounds like a great place for my wife and I next date night!