VA - Hampton Roads Restaurant Guide

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vagriller

Head Chef
Some time ago on a local (non-food related) forum I started a thread about local restaurants. It got too difficult to update, and then the hosting server crashed and all was lost so I thought it would be good to start up a local guide/blog type thing. Sort of a local version of Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives. Check it out and if you know of any good non-franchise restaurants in the Norfolk/VB area post them and I will check them out.

http://hr-restaurantguide.blogspot.com

Not really a restaurant, but....

Our son and daughter in law have opened a cupcake shop at Hillside called Just Cupcakes. It has received rave reviews on facebook and twitter. Check it out, if you are in Va. Beach and looking for a tasty snack.

Bet you can't eat just one.

Our son and daughter in law have opened a cupcake shop at Hillside called Just Cupcakes. It has received rave reviews on facebook and twitter. Check it out, if you are in Va. Beach and looking for a tasty snack.

Bet you can't eat just one.

Wow, just cupcakes huh? Do they plan to expand at all? It seems like a pretty small market to just sell cupcakes! Unless they have good coffee and free wifi or something.

It is just cupcakes but they do have coffee (good coffee) and other drinks. My son has a day job and hasn't a lot of time to devote to the day to day operation. His wife is there pretty much full time. So far, they haven't said anything about expanding, except that they are thinking about a mobile unit.

Apparently, there is a market for the product in Va. Beach. The variety of flavors offered is ever-changing with a few staples. They have catered events such as wedding, pageants, etc.
Really, check it out, if you can. I'd love to hear what you think about it.

Gus's Hot Dog King in Newport News is a great place for hot dogs. They also have hamburgers and barbecue but the hot dog reigns. Their Williamsburg place is just as good. Also try Nara of Japan in Newport News. Japanese Hibachi style restaurant. Excellent sushi (I generally dislike sushi but always get it here) and great entertainment and food. It's a bit pricey for regular meals but we still manage to go several times a year. Love it!

lyndalou,
I will definitely check it out if I get out there. I honestly don't get out that way often though.

Gus's Hot Dog King in Newport News is a great place for hot dogs. They also have hamburgers and barbecue but the hot dog reigns. Their Williamsburg place is just as good. Also try Nara of Japan in Newport News. Japanese Hibachi style restaurant. Excellent sushi (I generally dislike sushi but always get it here) and great entertainment and food. It's a bit pricey for regular meals but we still manage to go several times a year. Love it!

Are you talking about the place on Jefferson just north of Denbigh? If so I have been there and it is on the list! Sounds like the same place, but I know there are several places called Hot Dog King on the peninsula.

jabbur, do you work in a restaurant?

I'm talking of the original on Jefferson between Harpersville and Main Street. I've not eaten at the one in Denbigh so can't vouch for it. My son works at Nara so I may be a bit prejudiced but I have tried some of the other hibachi places around town and still prefer Nara's food. Also have tried other sushi places and find I prefer Nara's sushi as well. I'm no connoisseur though.

I'm talking of the original on Jefferson between Harpersville and Main Street. I've not eaten at the one in Denbigh so can't vouch for it. My son works at Nara so I may be a bit prejudiced but I have tried some of the other hibachi places around town and still prefer Nara's food. Also have tried other sushi places and find I prefer Nara's sushi as well. I'm no connoisseur though.

Ok, I intend to check that one out too. Also I will check out Nara as well. I love hibachi places. The only one on the peninsula I've been to is the one next to Goodman Jewelers near Coliseum.

Bardo is my favorite, I think. Really good, talented chef and amazing, relaxing atmosphere. it has an interesting, creative, Asian and Indian inspired small plates menu and a great bar menu. It is suitable for a special occasion or casual, lunch or dinner and doesn't have to be that pricey.
Rom Thai in Ward's Corner and the new one downtown on Granby, Rama Gargen, are both great. "Everbody's" favorite Thai is Bangkok Garden but I think it is over rated compared to those two. I've never eaten at Siam 21

Bardo is my favorite, I think. Really good, talented chef and amazing, relaxing atmosphere. it has an interesting, creative, Asian and Indian inspired small plates menu and a great bar menu. It is suitable for a special occasion or casual, lunch or dinner and doesn't have to be that pricey.
Rom Thai in Ward's Corner and the new one downtown on Granby, Rama Gargen, are both great. "Everbody's" favorite Thai is Bangkok Garden but I think it is over rated compared to those two. I've never eaten at Siam 21

Those sound great! Are they all local mom and pop places? And do you know any similiar places on the peninsula as well?

I found a new restaurant last night that is fabulous! The Water's Edge is at the end of Deep Creek Road off Warwick. It sits next to the James River Marina. I've always loved the spot. We used to eat there 15-20 years ago but the family run place closed and none of the reincarnations were any good. We decided to try it out. We started with an appetizer of smoked gouda potato pancakes. They were lightly fried balls of mashed potato with a center of smoked gouda. Wonderful texture and flavors. I had the fried seafood platter. The oysters melted in my mouth (I usually don't care much for oysters), the scallops were awesome, the shrimp divine and the founder was the best fish I have ever had. The lightly breaded and fried fish was mild but seasoned well and fall-apart tender. I didn't get to the crab cake last night so had to bring it and half of the fish home. My DH had the rib eye steak and he raved about it too. The service was great, the views awesome of the marina at sunset and the price was reasonable ($60 including tip for 2). If you get the chance, try it out!

I found a new restaurant last night that is fabulous! The Water's Edge is at the end of Deep Creek Road off Warwick. It sits next to the James River Marina. I've always loved the spot. We used to eat there 15-20 years ago but the family run place closed and none of the reincarnations were any good. We decided to try it out. We started with an appetizer of smoked gouda potato pancakes. They were lightly fried balls of mashed potato with a center of smoked gouda. Wonderful texture and flavors. I had the fried seafood platter. The oysters melted in my mouth (I usually don't care much for oysters), the scallops were awesome, the shrimp divine and the founder was the best fish I have ever had. The lightly breaded and fried fish was mild but seasoned well and fall-apart tender. I didn't get to the crab cake last night so had to bring it and half of the fish home. My DH had the rib eye steak and he raved about it too. The service was great, the views awesome of the marina at sunset and the price was reasonable ($60 including tip for 2). If you get the chance, try it out!

Sounds like a great place for my wife and I next date night!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom