"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Road Food

Old 12-30-2009, 06:23 AM   #1
Head Chef

VA - Hampton Roads Restaurant Guide

Some time ago on a local (non-food related) forum I started a thread about local restaurants. It got too difficult to update, and then the hosting server crashed and all was lost so I thought it would be good to start up a local guide/blog type thing. Sort of a local version of Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives. Check it out and if you know of any good non-franchise restaurants in the Norfolk/VB area post them and I will check them out.

http://hr-restaurantguide.blogspot.com

Old 12-30-2009, 09:34 AM   #2
Head Chef

Not really a restaurant, but....

Our son and daughter in law have opened a cupcake shop at Hillside called Just Cupcakes. It has received rave reviews on facebook and twitter. Check it out, if you are in Va. Beach and looking for a tasty snack.

Bet you can't eat just one.

Old 12-30-2009, 01:47 PM   #3
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndalou View Post
Our son and daughter in law have opened a cupcake shop at Hillside called Just Cupcakes. It has received rave reviews on facebook and twitter. Check it out, if you are in Va. Beach and looking for a tasty snack.

Bet you can't eat just one.
Wow, just cupcakes huh? Do they plan to expand at all? It seems like a pretty small market to just sell cupcakes! Unless they have good coffee and free wifi or something.
Old 12-31-2009, 07:48 AM   #4
Head Chef

It is just cupcakes but they do have coffee (good coffee) and other drinks. My son has a day job and hasn't a lot of time to devote to the day to day operation. His wife is there pretty much full time. So far, they haven't said anything about expanding, except that they are thinking about a mobile unit.

Apparently, there is a market for the product in Va. Beach. The variety of flavors offered is ever-changing with a few staples. They have catered events such as wedding, pageants, etc.
Really, check it out, if you can. I'd love to hear what you think about it.
Old 12-31-2009, 08:51 AM   #5
Master Chef

Gus's Hot Dog King in Newport News is a great place for hot dogs. They also have hamburgers and barbecue but the hot dog reigns. Their Williamsburg place is just as good. Also try Nara of Japan in Newport News. Japanese Hibachi style restaurant. Excellent sushi (I generally dislike sushi but always get it here) and great entertainment and food. It's a bit pricey for regular meals but we still manage to go several times a year. Love it!
Old 12-31-2009, 09:17 AM   #6
Head Chef

lyndalou,
I will definitely check it out if I get out there. I honestly don't get out that way often though.
Old 12-31-2009, 09:19 AM   #7
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbur View Post
Gus's Hot Dog King in Newport News is a great place for hot dogs. They also have hamburgers and barbecue but the hot dog reigns. Their Williamsburg place is just as good. Also try Nara of Japan in Newport News. Japanese Hibachi style restaurant. Excellent sushi (I generally dislike sushi but always get it here) and great entertainment and food. It's a bit pricey for regular meals but we still manage to go several times a year. Love it!
Are you talking about the place on Jefferson just north of Denbigh? If so I have been there and it is on the list! Sounds like the same place, but I know there are several places called Hot Dog King on the peninsula.

jabbur, do you work in a restaurant?
Old 12-31-2009, 04:17 PM   #8
Master Chef

I'm talking of the original on Jefferson between Harpersville and Main Street. I've not eaten at the one in Denbigh so can't vouch for it. My son works at Nara so I may be a bit prejudiced but I have tried some of the other hibachi places around town and still prefer Nara's food. Also have tried other sushi places and find I prefer Nara's sushi as well. I'm no connoisseur though.
Old 12-31-2009, 09:16 PM   #9
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbur View Post
I'm talking of the original on Jefferson between Harpersville and Main Street. I've not eaten at the one in Denbigh so can't vouch for it. My son works at Nara so I may be a bit prejudiced but I have tried some of the other hibachi places around town and still prefer Nara's food. Also have tried other sushi places and find I prefer Nara's sushi as well. I'm no connoisseur though.
Ok, I intend to check that one out too. Also I will check out Nara as well. I love hibachi places. The only one on the peninsula I've been to is the one next to Goodman Jewelers near Coliseum.
Old 01-01-2010, 01:37 PM   #10
Head Chef

wood chicks in chesapeake ....