"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Road Food

Old 04-09-2007, 09:39 PM   #11
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve A
Mahi Mah's? I worked there years ago as well. EXPENSIVE as all get out. I took a friend there this past winter. Lunch for two was over $50.00. But you pay for the scenery.

Oh yeah - you might wanna check out Tatt's restaurant. My wife and I had a terrific meal there. He's got a great staff.
Hadn't heard of the other restaurants you mentioned. I am familiar with Bangkok Garden & Luna Maya's. My husband isn't much on sushi. He calls it bait! As you can probably tell, we don't get out much. And YES Mahi Mah's was rather pricey! At the risk of sounding like a cheapskate, I had a coupon, but it was only good before 7:00. We had to wait for over an hour & . . . it was after 7 when we finally got seated. The scenery was nice & so was the atmosphere. Not some place we'll be returning, but glad we went. We do love the Oysters Rockefeller at Rudy's. Been there a few times just for those.

We do plan on trying TATT's place on our next restaurant adventure though. Looking forward to it!

Old 06-03-2007, 12:43 PM   #12
Head Chef

dont forget croakers .. great little spot ..
bubbas marina is great for some crabs and beers on the dock ..
bobby wood in norfolk is always great ..

Old 06-03-2007, 01:14 PM   #13
Executive Chef

been awhile since I've been to Va Beach, but is Michael's still open down on the ocean front? Was a fine steak house with many Greek specialities. How about that place over in Pungo?
Old 08-12-2007, 01:36 PM   #14
Cook

Robo.... in Pungo ....do you mean Blue Pete's??

I grew up in Va Bch... lived there 23 years.

I know ""back in the day"" people loved Captain Georges Seafood (Va Bch location). The line would always run outside into the parking lot on weekends.
Old 08-13-2007, 11:59 PM   #15
Assistant Cook

I grew up in Va Beach. I don't know if it is still there but for a great formal meal I suggest Antiquities in the Airport Hilton. I moved away 6 years ago this Thanksgiving and I'm sure things have changed. Also a little greek owned family restaurant called Jimmy's Steak and Seafood in the same little strip mall as Birdland Records in Kempsville (near the Water Tower). I'm wondering if it is still there.
Old 08-14-2007, 12:12 AM   #16
Assistant Cook

I checked and saw a bad review and a "this establishment is closed" for Antiquities. That is a shame as We had a good meal there. Whatever they call the flaming cutting board full of beef tenderloin (Chatauex Briande? Spell?), and Potatos in the shape of mushrooms.

Jimmy's Steak & Seafood is on Providence road just the other side of Kempsville Road. It's kind of like Gus and Georges and that place near First Colonial and South of VA Beach Blvd (can't remember the name). I miss those little steak places. We don't really have those kind of inexpensive little places out here in Spokane :(
Old 08-14-2007, 07:10 AM   #17
Senior Cook

I go to VB occasionally. Gus & George's is still there. Hey! They even repaved their meager parking lot. (I'd be willing to bet that piece of property is high value now that Towne Centre is thriving.)

There used to be another steakhouse near Kellam Rd, Longbranch, I think was their name. They've been empty for ages but I think a new owner is planning on coming in.

Tatt?? (Jon) do you know who that might be?

Saigon 77? (I think that's the number) in the location of the old PuttPutt on VB Blvd is an awesome place to eat. If you like Ph and other Vietnamese simple foods, it's well worth the stop.

Ciao,

Old 08-14-2007, 07:19 AM   #18
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve A
I go to VB occasionally. Gus & George's is still there. Hey! They even repaved their meager parking lot. (I'd be willing to bet that piece of property is high value now that Towne Centre is thriving.)

There used to be another steakhouse near Kellam Rd, Longbranch, I think was their name. They've been empty for ages but I think a new owner is planning on coming in.

Tatt?? (Jon) do you know who that might be?

Saigon 77? (I think that's the number) in the location of the old PuttPutt on VB Blvd is an awesome place to eat. If you like Ph and other Vietnamese simple foods, it's well worth the stop.

Ciao,

Not Sure Steve. I know that that chain flopped in the are a few years back. I will look into it though.

Saigon is the BEST cheap lunch in VB and you get a lot of bang for the buck.

Best steak I had n VB was at a new place, Terrapin, on Holly and Laskin, 5 blocks off Atlantic. GREAT little place. IF you are in that neck of the woods, Blue Moon is also worth a mention. They have had a great run of Chefs over the years, but the food has always been great.

Forbidden City on Virginia Beach Blvd in the Sams club plaza, for dim sum, all day, every day. Very affordable, and delish!
Old 08-14-2007, 07:35 AM   #19
Assistant Cook

Speaking of Va. beach.......my husband and i are going there for the weekend in Oct.
We want to find a great steak and seafood restaurant I have heard horror stories about Capt.Georges... he wants buffet, but, it doesnt really matter to me.
Any suggestions on breakfast?
Old 08-14-2007, 11:41 AM   #20
Cook

Id be interested to hear what kind of horror stories there are about Capt Georges because it used to be the place to go. I worked at the airport and when people asked us for a suggestion we would send them there and they all came back raving and thanking us for sending them there. Of course that was many years ago.... what has changed??

Tags
virginia