Veal Osso Bucco

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dawgluver

Chef Extraordinaire
DH is heading out East for a business trip, and handed me a menu from a snitzy snitzy restaurant where he'll be eating. We like to try things we wouldn't normally find here. Neither one of us has ever tried veal osso bucco. Is this a good choice?

Last edited:
OMG Dawgluver, that sounds really, really good to me!

I have never met a veal dish that I didn't love.

Just looking at this version makes my mouth go crazy!

recipe-15111.jpg

Osso Buco alla Milanese
Veal Shanks Braised with Tomato & White Wine

Last edited:
It's one of my favorite cold weather dishes. I use a modified version of a Marcella Hazan recipe.

OK, I am putting a small cooler with dry ice in DH's suitcase so he can bring me home a doggie bag!

It's not hard to make. You should pick up some veal shanks and make a potful. It goes really well with risotto Milanese.

Andy M. said:
It's not hard to make. You should pick up some veal shanks and make a potful. It goes really well with risotto Milanese.

I'll have to check it out.

Andy M. said:
I can share my recipes if you decide to make it.

Would love that. I'll have to see if they carry veal shanks here. I have not seen them, but haven't looked for them either. Is there a specific cut to look for?

Would love that. I'll have to see if they carry veal shanks here. I have not seen them, but haven't looked for them either. Is there a specific cut to look for?

Just look/ask for veal shanks. If you can select them, go for those with a higher meat to bone ratio.

I'll post the recipes.

Andy M. said:
Just look/ask for veal shanks. If you can select them, go for those with a higher meat to bone ratio.

I'll post the recipes.

Thanks Andy!

I'm trying to figure out how much your recipe would make. I've never bought veal shanks before. I'm sure my boss will know where I can get them around here, but first I want to figure out how many people I'd have to invite over to dinner to eat it up. :) Do you have an estimate of how many this should serve?

The OB recipe calls for four shanks, That should be enough for four diners. The risotto recipe will also be enough for four. You may have leftovers of risotto depending on appetites.

Back
Top Bottom