"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Road Food
Click Here to Login

Old 01-03-2018, 11:28 AM   #11
Executive Chef

My favorite was at the now closed Boyd's Burgermaster on 10th Ave South in Great Falls, Montana. It was the first actual drive through I ever saw, long before McD's offered anything but a walk up window.

It was a regular stop when we were out cruising Central Ave in the 60's. They sold a foot long dog with just onions and their own sauce. The onions were thin sliced then separated, not chopped, and the sauce was at least partly with both mustard and ketchup, but there was something more to it as well.

They also had a pizza burger and their signature mushroom sauced Rampburger - all were pretty special when compared to the current crop of cookie cutter franchises. I last ate there when visiting in 2004 - they closed around 2010.

Old 01-03-2018, 11:31 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Costco hot dog with soda. They're not the best tasting hot dogs but at $1.62 including soda they're the best hot dogs anywhere.

roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 11:31 AM   #13
Master Chef

The best hot dogs in the world are at Ted's Charcoal Hots in the Buffalo, NY area.

I like mine with Webber's horseradish mustard and Ted's hot dog sauce.

The best make at home hot dogs come from Omaha Steaks, They are 3 ounce deli size dogs made with beef and pork, with not too much seasoning. I even keep Webber's mustard and Ted's hot dog sauce in my refrigerator to use on home made hot dogs.

Hebrew National hot dogs have so much flavoring added, I am pretty sure they are hiding something. I don't want to taste spices, I want to taste beef and pork!
Old 01-03-2018, 12:44 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

IMO, the best hot dog is the one I'm eating at a baseball game. ⚾ Topped with Bertman's brown mustard, with my team winning? A little bit of heaven...

"The only running I do anymore is running late..."~~~moi
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 12:56 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post

You beat me to it. Rutt's Hut is awesome! You can't beat a deep fried dog.

They have 3 styles: the In and Out (self explanatory), the Ripper (deep fried until the skin rips), and the Cremator (deep fried until burnt).

Another great local hot dog is from The Hot Grill: https://www.thehotgrill.org/

Their specialty is called "one all the way". It's a griddled hot dog topped with mustard, onion, and a Texas Wiener sauce (a thin, meat-only chili sauce).
Old 01-03-2018, 01:18 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Wish I had taken a picture of our dinner last night.

We each had a large toasted fresh Bolillo roll (think Mexican hot dog bun on steroids) containing two browned and beer simmered Johnson Brats, topped with brown mustard and kraut. Now that's a hot dog worth eating!! *burp*...scuze me.

Bea, I sure wish we could get those white Snappy dogs..I know I'd like them!!

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 01:46 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Now when I used to eat meat ( 100 years ago) I loved the crappy hot dogs you got at the ball park ( Shea Stadium to be precise). MY mom always went for the better quality at home ( hebrew national), but i preferred the ball park franks by far.
larry_stewart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 02:15 PM   #18
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef View Post

Hebrew National hot dogs have so much flavoring added, I am pretty sure they are hiding something. I don't want to taste spices, I want to taste beef and pork!
It's doubtful that you will get much pork flavor in a Hebrew National hot dog.

Like so many other foods, we all have our favorite kind of hot dog, and have trouble understanding why others might prefer something a bit different. There are so many regional styles, preparations, and condiments that only one thing is certain, and that is that it's rare that any random two hot dog eaters will agree 100%.

Although it's mostly not the popular way to go these days, but I much prefer a pork hot dog (mostly pork, but can have some poultry added). The beef ones just don't seem to do it for me, and I can't really see anything particularly healthy about a beef hot dog over a pork/poultry blend.
Old 01-03-2018, 03:41 PM   #19
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Prefer hot dogs to be grilled outside, sometimes a polish dog. Condiments - yellow or brown mustard, ketchup, raw chopped onion and sweet relish.
Old 01-03-2018, 05:41 PM   #20
Master Chef

Has anyone else noticed that Ball Park franks don't plump when you cook them any more?