What is the best Hot Dog you ever had?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I never pay to eat a hotdog at a restaurant, just too many other good things to eat , probably the only hotdog/sausage I’ve paid for was Costco’s and I hadn’t had one in years, I do eat them at home though. I have some Hilshire Farm sausages in the freezer and a few packs of Earl Campbell sausage that’s not as good as it sounds, never eat them on buns, it’s usually with rice for me or I’ll use it in spigghetti sauce or make a potatoe hash with them.

There used to,be a place in town that was good. I make my own now. Steamed bun with dog, mustard chopped onion ketchup. Cheese as well.

Russ

I just had a wonderful Hillshire Farms smoked sausage I picked up at Ty's Pit Stop. Why is it so wonderful? I didn't have to cook it!

Gotta chime in on favorite brands, in order, and favorite ways to cook and eat them. may not be able to eat hot dogs anymore, but I can remember.

Favorite breands:
1. Cher-Make natural casing hot dogs
2. Koegle's Vienna Hot Dogs
3. Koegle's all beef hot dogs
4. Volworth's all beef hot dogs
5. Wrath Blackhawk Hot dogs

Favorite way to cook them
1. Yeh, on a green willow stick in a campfire
2. Grilled over charcoal, but not blackened
3. Cooked over the flame on my gas stove
4. Microwaved (no flavor lost, but must not be overcooked
5. Steamed
6. Cold out of the fridge
7. Fried, rolling until browned and bubbly on the whole dog
8. Bacon Wrapped and broiled
9. Oh, I almost forgot, and this should be above chili dog - Whole dog cooked in pot with B & M, or Van Camp's pork and beans

1. Love dog on a steamed bun with good coarse mustard, ketchup, sweet pickle relish, chopped onion.
2. Love chilil cheese dog, but it has to be good chili, thick and rich.
3. Dog on a steamed but with sour kraut, ketchup, Chiooed onion, and swiss cheese

Least favorite hot dog preparation, (when using good hot dogs) Hot dogs sliced and drowned in bbq sauce, something that always shows up at pot lucks, followed by hot dogs sliced into pasta dishes.

Ok, I'm done. I miss hot dogs.:(

Seeeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Your #7- Fried, rolling until browned and bubbly on the whole dog is my all time favorite way to prepare hot dogs.. :yum:

My daughter and SIL have them this way often.. Once a week when I was staying with them before Jeannie came to MO..

Now, in our own apartment, we like them sliced down the middle (after frying) and served on a thin, toasted, olive oil smeared ciabatta bun with mayo, mustard (old fashioned yellow) with sweet relish and chopped onions..

Makes us happy.. :)

Ross

One of the best ones I had was a private barbecue and I don't know what they were using for Frank's or if it was some fancy sausage but it was smooth or I wouldn't have liked it.

Texas is not really known for their hot dogs but everybody has hot dogs. There is a hamburger place that's been here for probably 50 years that has my favorite hamburger and my favorite hot dog. They use a real long beef hot dog that I think is probably Nathan's. But it's not something you can just pick up in the store. There wasn't hot dog specialty place here for a few years that would spiralize them and all kinds of fun things.

There used to be a place in Rosemont, IL (a suburb right next to Chicago's O'Hare Airport) called Augie's. Their specialty was a jumbo hot dog wrapped with bacon, deep fried, tossed on a bun, smothered with cheese sauce and topped with a couple of sport peppers for good measure.

Basically a heart attack on a bun. Cholesterol bombs. Oh, they were so good! Augie's closed up over 20 years ago but I still miss those hot dogs.

Hot dogs of choice these days are Ball Park Nacho Cheese dogs, on poppy seed buns with mustard and diced green onions.

None. I'm just not a hot dog person.

However I have a sweet story about one of my younger brothers.

We had a babysitter, Ruby, who took care of us intermittently. Not sure if she was widowed or never married but, just the same she was alone as long as we knew her.

Anywhoooo, my brother loved her hot dogs.

She would put them in a pan of water and boil them until they split like crazy. He loved Ruby's hot dogs! Still likes them this way and he just turned 69 today.

I made a copycat Unicorn hot dog from the Unicorn and Narwhal restaurant in Seattle. It's a corn dog, batter made with fresh corn in it, split open and stuffed with beer braised onions and sriracha cream cheese, drizzled with more sriracha and sprinkled with sliced green onions. It's a knife and fork dog. Sounds a bit odd, but it was great.

I will never forget taking my DD and DGDs to a car museum close to where they live on the SW coast of Florida once because the oldest DGD wanted to go. After walking around and looking at the cars, we decided to get lunch inside the museum. Youngest DGD, a little over 7, wanted a hot dog. They brought out a full fledged ripper dog. She looked at it like WTF! It was not disclosed on the menu that's what it was. We ended up sending it back and asking for one that was just cooked through. I could not believe they served that kind of dog to a kid.

When Costco still used the Hebrew National dogs, that was a good one. Their in house replacement is too sweet and too smoky for my taste.

I've had some good chili cheese dogs.

I'm a bit of a sucker for a corn dog with cheap yellow mustard too.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom