What is the best Hot Dog you ever had?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I know very few people in NYC, except for tourists, who eat dirty water dogs. Well, unless you're hungry and only have 2 bucks left in your pocket for a dog and a soda. :)

I still would go for the pretzel with mustard, though.

One of my favorite David Letterman jokes about NYC is that you can always tell it's Spring because all of the hot dog vendors change the water in their carts.

As far as making dogs at home, Hebrew National and Sabretts are what we buy. Nathan's on occasion.

And if you can find it, Batampte new sauerkraut is fantastic.

I prefer Philadelphia street pretzels. With mustard, of course. There probably isn't any significant difference, it is just what I ate as a child, so they have a sentimental draw.

I can't get Sabretts here, but I can get Hebrew National and Nathan's. I prefer Hebrew National, but I'm okay with Nathan's.

As for "dirty water dogs," they are another taste from my youth. It's like Wise chips vs Lay's, or Cheese Doodles vs Cheetoes... they really aren't different, but if you grew up with one of them, you have memories attached to them. When I am in "the city," a couple of dogs and a cream soda take me back in time.

If I look like a tourist eating them, I'm okay with that. It is MY eating experience.

CD

Caslon: I used to love Pölsa too as kid, the Danish kind that is. In Sweden pölsa is an softer form of haggis.

In reply to Casey Dog, Italy has dozens of things, but - guess what the main street food is over here: PIZZA!!!! in all its various guises, such as panzerotti. I compiled a list of Italy's favourite street foods, and they numbered nearly 40. Unfortunately I've mislaid the list, so when I find it again, I'll send it - it makes interesting reading.

However, this thread is very interesting and there are lots of things you can learn. I'll never look a hotdog in the same way ever again! Thank you!!

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

I prefer Philadelphia street pretzels. With mustard, of course. There probably isn't any significant difference, it is just what I ate as a child, so they have a sentimental draw.

I can't get Sabretts here, but I can get Hebrew National and Nathan's. I prefer Hebrew National, but I'm okay with Nathan's.

As for "dirty water dogs," they are another taste from my youth. It's like Wise chips vs Lay's, or Cheese Doodles vs Cheetoes... they really aren't different, but if you grew up with one of them, you have memories attached to them. When I am in "the city," a couple of dogs and a cream soda take me back in time.

If I look like a tourist eating them, I'm okay with that. It is MY eating experience.

CD

So long as you don't have 3 cameras around your neck, and walk around with mouth agape looking up at all of the tall buildings you won't look like a tourist. :)

You've been so many places I doubt you look like a tourist anywhere.

Wait, you're a photog, aren't you. Nevermind the camera comment, lol.

Btw, what's a Philly street pretzel? Is it soft and salted, and warmed up over a charcoal fire like the carts here? Pennsylvania has the best pretzels in the world outside of Bavaria.

And lol, you made me buy a dirty water dog for lunch today. I'm working a double, so I happened to move my truck away from a building that big chunks of ice werefalling off a little while ago. I happened to get another parking spot right next to a hot dog cart. It wasn't half bad.

I also got a potato knish, and some charcoal roasted chestnuts.

Wow, look at all of them tall buildings... ;)

The best hot dog I ever had wasn't really a hot dog. It was a Polish sausage from a street cart in downtown Toronto. I was on a business trip, had just gotten off a plane from Ottawa and was hungry and tired. I was headed up to see if I could snag a ticket for the Canadian production of The Phantom of the Opera at the newly renovated Pantages Theatre. The sausage was spicy and flavourful, tucked in a very soft bun and piled high with caramelized onions. I got a drink and a bag of potato chips to make it a full fine street-dining meal. :cool:

As for the show, I was in a line-up with another single female, a couple, and two men in front of me (and others behind). There were two pairs of tickets left and the single person took the first one. The couple took two more and that left one ticket. The two men were businessmen with one showing the other (an out of towner) the sights and sounds of TO. Of course, they weren't going to take just one ticket, so it went to me! :angel:

I was right underneath the falling chandelier, 12th row from the front centre section! I saw the show twice more in Vancouver and once in San Fransico but that first time was an experience I will never forget.

And I think that the polish dog was probably nothing special, it was just the circumstances! :)

So long as you don't have 3 cameras around your neck, and walk around with mouth agape looking up at all of the tall buildings you won't look like a tourist. :)

You've been so many places I doubt you look like a tourist anywhere.

Wait, you're a photog, aren't you. Nevermind the camera comment, lol.

Btw, what's a Philly street pretzel? Is it soft and salted, and warmed up over a charcoal fire like the carts here? Pennsylvania has the best pretzels in the world outside of Bavaria.

And lol, you made me buy a dirty water dog for lunch today. I'm working a double, so I happened to move my truck away from a building that big chunks of ice werefalling off a little while ago. I happened to get another parking spot right next to a hot dog cart. It wasn't half bad.

I also got a potato knish, and some charcoal roasted chestnuts.

Wow, look at all of them tall buildings... ;)

LOL

There is probably no difference in the pretzels. I do know I haven't found the same thing down here. Those pretzel chains at the malls aren't even close. But that's another topic.

CD

In Stockholm you can buy the Worlds hottest sausage , a friend tried it, said it just tasted bitter from all the heat.

I found this old photo while going through old files on my HD. This is how I make them at home. A beef dog with kraut and yellow mustard, and that's a bottle of cream soda on the side.

CD

Attachments

• NYHotDog.jpg
    NYHotDog.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 224
In order:
1. Cher-Make out of Wisconsin, natural casing hot dog, sublime but pricey
2. Koegle's out of Michigan - All beef, or Vienna style w/natural casing
3. A brand I don't know given out at a local Easy_Mart customer appreciation day. A top quality dog, and free to boot.
4. Volworths, a premium dog for sure.

Nathan's and Hebrew National are too salty, while Oscar Myers is better, but still has a way to go.

Worst hot dogs, - Sugardale, Ball Park, and a cheap brand whose name escapes me, but is in every store around here.

In San Diego, the best was Wrath Blackhawk brand hot dogs, at leaast for my tastes.

Best wat to cook them, over fire, either on the grill, or skewered on a stick over a camp fire, untill swelled and about to rip, but no blackness, browned all the way around.

2. Microwaved until hot, captures the whole flavor of a good dog.
3. cooked whole in a pot with park and beans, ssentimental value as that was my Dad's favorite way to eat them.
4. any other way you want to heat them up.

All dogs that are larger, or greater in diameter, as long as they taste as good as those mentioned above are a treat, especially with some chili and cheese topping them.

That's my take on the humble ht dog.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Someone mentioned that they could eat 6 hot dogs alone. There was a time in my life, when I weighed less that 100 lbs. and had been riding my smowmobile all day, when I ate 19 hot dogs, 2 plates of beans, and a side of french fries at one sitting, and I felt just satisfied, not stuffed. I couldn't gain weight when I was about 17 years old. I miss that body.:LOL:

I can still eat a single package by myself, but limit it to two at home, more at a gathering if there are left-ovrers.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Harakiri Helldog is the sausage called and you can find it in Stockholm and if you google Harakiri Korv you might find videos of people trying to eat it.

So if you are in Stockholm , why not check it out.

So I’ve seen people say they prefer steamed,bbq, fried, etc. But does anyone have pros or cons on cooking method? Mom always boiled them growing up and dad fried.
Does any method or methods improve or degrade the dog?

It's personal preference. I like crispy charred bits on my hotdogs, so I like them grilled or broiled. Boiling is a waste of time, energy and water to me, but it's the way it was often done when I was growing up, too.

So I’ve seen people say they prefer steamed,bbq, fried, etc. But does anyone have pros or cons on cooking method? Mom always boiled them growing up and dad fried.

I don't believe there is an objectively better method. I personally don't have one favorite way. My mom always boiled them, too, and I was fine with that. I also liked them when dad cooked them outside on the grill.

CD

Over a campfire on a green willow stick (or a long handled fork made for that purpose). There's something about fire roasting, and the ambience of a campfire out in the hills makes it the perfect setting. :yum: Second choice is on the grill if I'm doing them for a yard party, although we rarely do hot dogs for that - more likely it would be brats.

That said, when I'm at home I'm more likely to just nuke a dog if it's just for my lunch. :nuke:

Last edited:
Over a campfire on a green willow stick (or a long handled fork made for that purpose). There's something about fire roasting, and the ambience of a campfire out in the hills makes it the perfect setting. :yum::

+1 on a stick over a fire.

My second choice is boiling. Reminds me of the way they were sold at baseball games when I was a kid. Plus, my wife says it boils out some of the fat, so it's healthier.

There's a famous place in NYC called Grey's Papaya. It's been in several movies and on many TV shows over the years. I used to live right down the block from one on 72nd street next to Central Park.Their dogs are horrible! I don't understand whythe place is so popular.
Their dogs are cooked on a greasy griddle, then just rolled over to a cooler corner of the griddle until sold which could be hours later. Yuk.

Last edited:
It's a hot dog, it adapts itself to any method of cooking you have time or the yearning for. When going on any outing where there will be a grill, fire, etc. I bring extra polish or all beef dogs. They always go fast.

Hot dogs are a meal, a snack, an addition...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom