"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Road Food

Old 01-14-2007, 03:48 PM   #11
Executive Chef

When you said 'travel story' I figure you mean food you'll actually travel for, or something similar.

I live in northen NJ. My boyfriend and I were in Boston a couple of years ago. We had pizza for lunch from Pizzeria Regina. We loved it. Before we were to drive home, we went back to the pizzeria for two pies to go. We had to take them on the subway, then the hotel shuttle bus, and then for a 5 hour car ride before we got them home.

Every time we go to New Orleans we have muffalettas from Central Grocery. We always go back on our last day and bring three home for the families.

Every summer I have a pig roast party only I'm not interested in roasting the pig myself. Lou picks up the cooked pig, right out of the oven (usually 60 pounds) and drives it from 9th Street Canulli Bros. in S. Philly to my yard, where I have a pit waiting to keep it warm for the party. The picture of the roast pig laying on his back seat is hilarious.

Old 01-14-2007, 04:17 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
One from childhood. One as an adult.

When I was a child, my parents had to travel about 30 miles to do regular grocery shopping for us. There were 5 children in our family. At any rate, they shopped once a week on my father's day off, which was Thursday. He was a doc.

They'd take the whole day, have dinner out, too. Then they'd come home about 8 p.m. and unload the car. Bag after bag, after bag, after bag of groceries for the hungry masses.

On one of those Thursday nights, as they were unpacking all the bags, they realized they had someone else's groceries. Apparently the boy who loaded the car for them (they had folks who did that back then) rolled the wrong cart to my dad's car and unloaded it. When my parents discovered the mistake it was too late to do anything but use the groceries. It was too late at night to drive the 30 miles back to the store because in those days, grocery stores closed at 9 p.m.

The plus side of the experience is that there was a huge pork loin roast in the order. My mother never cooked anything like it, but she roasted it on Sunday with carrots, onions and potatoes and it was melt-in-your-mouth tender and delicious. I can almost taste it now. She never cooked another one, but that one was memorable.

As an adult, Buck and I used to tent camp on Ocrakoke Island, North Carolina for our vacation several years in a row. It's one of the most beautiful places in the world. We tent camped right on the beach and spent many lazy days doing not much of anything but enjoying the sun, sand and surf fishing.

Since we were right on the beach, there were no trees, which meant that when the sun woke up, we did too. Except for one morning. Buck woke up before me and walked the few feet to the water to do some early morning surf fishing.

I awoke to the tantalizing smell of fresh fish cooking on the camp stove. We feasted on fresh flounder and sliced lemons for breakfast. It was a breakfast I will ALWAYS remember.

Old 01-15-2007, 08:17 AM   #13
Master Chef

We were taking the trip of a lifetime -- a few days in Hong Kong. Of all things, believe it or not, I had never had Indian food. So we found a little cellar place off the beaten path, and were honest with the waiter. We simply did not know what to order. He took over, and we ate and ate and ate and ate some more. Everything was wonderful. We were going to go to a different restaurant a few nights later, Indonesian, but there was a police cord across it. So we ... well, did Indian yet again. (and yes, we also did both Canonese and Szechuan food while we were there, and a bit of Portuguese as well in that colony) (Oh, and yes, also fish & chips). Do you think that I believe the main reason for travel is to ... eat? BTW, I think Napoleon's has the best mufaletta in NO, and there is this little grocery store that looks like it is just a convenience store outside of Lafayette ... no, not a boudin stand, but they make some great boudin. Dirty Rice. etc. You just call in the morning and pick it up later. Yummmyummmy.
Old 01-15-2007, 12:10 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire
We were taking the trip of a lifetime -- a few days in Hong Kong. Of all things, believe it or not, I had never had Indian food. So we found a little cellar place off the beaten path, and were honest with the waiter. We simply did not know what to order. He took over, and we ate and ate and ate and ate some more. Everything was wonderful. We were going to go to a different restaurant a few nights later, Indonesian, but there was a police cord across it. So we ... well, did Indian yet again. (and yes, we also did both Canonese and Szechuan food while we were there, and a bit of Portuguese as well in that colony) (Oh, and yes, also fish & chips). Do you think that I believe the main reason for travel is to ... eat? BTW, I think Napoleon's has the best mufaletta in NO, and there is this little grocery store that looks like it is just a convenience store outside of Lafayette ... no, not a boudin stand, but they make some great boudin. Dirty Rice. etc. You just call in the morning and pick it up later. Yummmyummmy.
Funny you mention Napolean house. Lou and I have been to NOLA 4 times already. It's impossible to get to each good place so we've been mapping them out and crossing them off each time we go. When we were last there, it was last December into New Year's Eve. Unfortunately, Napoleon house was on that particular trip list, but it hadn't reopened for a full regular schedule, post Katrina. We'll be back in NOLA in 35 days and once again, Napoleon house is on the list. We'll definitely be having the muffaletta with a Pimms cup.
Old 01-15-2007, 01:46 PM   #15
Master Chef

I'm a person who will travel just for the food.... each year, we make a trip down to Port Aransas to visit places like Seafood and Spaghetti Works, Crazy Cajun's, Shells, and Pelican's Landing. We always make it a point to hit our favorite dining spots. Also, we have been going to San Antonio to hit our favs there as well.

Crazy Cajuns had to be the oddest place I had ever been.... upon walking into the place all you could hear was the constant rapping noise. The noise was folks armed with tiny little hammers beating their crab legs and claws. There is only one thing on the menu... a mixture of shrimp, crawfish, crab, suasage, corn, and red potatos. They come and dump it in the middle of your table... some of the best food that I have ever had paired with an icy cold brew!!!!
Old 01-21-2007, 05:43 PM   #16
Master Chef

I also love the dance halls in and around Lafayette. One time we went we were camping (tent) next to a couple of young Israeli women. We mentioned one to them and they wanted to come with us. Two single women hooking up with a totally strange couple after a couple of glasses of wine. You'd think these places were just tourist traps, but when you get there you can tell the locals because they eat whatever shellfish is in season, steamed with spices, and piled on the middle of the table. The daddies dance with the little girls balanced on the top of their feet. They dance, come back, eat, and dance some more. We've been to three of them and loved every minute. Unfortunately, hubby doesn't like to dance. But the food and song and people-watching is so much fun. The often bewildered tourists, the stomping, singing, eating, dancing locals, the great music. My family are singing, dancing CANUKs, so it felt right like home the first time.

IF the weather is nice, and they've fixed it back up, eat in the courtyard at Napoleons.