"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Road Food

Old 12-17-2008, 11:43 AM   #1
Head Chef

Where to go on vacation?

I want to go somewhere new next year, it will be the first year to plan a vacation that is not dependent on my kids (now soon to be all adults) school vacation schedule. What was your favorite vacation and why? ~Bliss

Old 12-17-2008, 11:48 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Bliss... how long do you have and are you thinking of leaving the country or staying in the US? Do you want an adventure or relaxing time? Looking for a romantic get away?

If time allows... I'd head to Greece! It's beautiful!! The food is delish, the people are kind and helpful, the beaches clean and the water warm.

Closer to home.. MEXICO!! For all the same reasons but it's more relaxed and laid back.

The Bahamas are very wonderful!! Easy to get around because they speak English and use American dollars. Beautiful, romantic, good food, people were not quite as nice though..

Old 12-17-2008, 12:00 PM   #3
Head Chef

Depends on your budget and things you like to do:

For a Beach/Relaxation Getaway: Hawaii is my choice. I would suggest atleast going to two islands (I recommend Maui and Kauai). Beautiful Beaches, vibrant greens and crystal clear waters. You can relax all day at the beach or drive, take a catamaran and explore the island. Lots to do.

For a more vibrant nightlife or cultural type getaway: London, Paris, Rome, Spain, Holland. Europe is not that far and lots of architecture and interesting things to soak in.

If you have the time and looking for something totally exotic and far away there are lots of options in Asia and Africa. I have only been to Egypt (most amazing place and will always remain in my books), Dubai and India but I hear Indonesia, Malaysia, Hong Kong, Singapore, China and Japan are really fun to visit if you are an adventurous traveler.
Old 12-17-2008, 12:27 PM   #4
Sous Chef

My parents go on royal curebbian (ugg i cant spell) every year usually in mid to leate oct. good rates awesome weather.
Old 12-17-2008, 12:35 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Oh yeah! Like GRK mentioned cruises are another great idea. The Alaska cruise ( 7 days) was great fun and we saw some beautiful things.

Do the freestyle cruising though... not as many rules to follow.. no dress codes...eat where and when you want... go to the shows when you want.. do what you want with the people you want NOT when and where the cruise line arranges it.
Old 12-17-2008, 12:37 PM   #6
Head Chef

I'm thinking I have to plan for a new passport if I want to leave the country again. I like to go to places I haven't been before.
My budget is always small, but, it's amazing the deals that are out there sometimes.
I like a bit of physical activity, like hiking, and sight seeing nature's beauty. I like adventure, I like a relaxing time too.
Old 12-17-2008, 12:38 PM   #7
Senior Cook

I loved Thailand and Bali and it was so affordable (even for us South Africans with our less than great rand dollar exchange rate)
Old 12-17-2008, 03:19 PM   #8
Sous Chef

My favorite natural places in the continental United States are the Green/White Mountains of VT/NH, Death Valley, Mountains of the Pacific NW, and the natural settings accessible from Denver (Rocky Mountain National Park, Great Sand Dunes, etc.). New York City, Las Vegas, Seattle, and San Francisco are fun, but I get sick of the dense noise after 3-4 days.

I spent 6 months traveling throughout the US a few years ago (along with Western Canada and Alaska), and those are my favorites in the lower 48.

Someday I want to spend 6 months or so traveling through Europe. I'd also like to visit Japan.

Can't stand cruises though...
Old 12-17-2008, 03:58 PM   #9
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
I went to France (Reims, Paris and Lyon) last October for less than $1000, excluding airfare. It wasn't a tour. There are great hotel deals out there on the internet, and lots of reasonably priced restaurants with great food...
I always LOVE to go to France. Have you ever been to Provence? great values there, as well.
Old 12-17-2008, 04:07 PM   #10
Master Chef

Anywhere there is an ocean. I do not care much about quality of hotel or food. As long as there is nice ocean. I will sacrifice a lot of comfort just to spend couple of weeks swimming in the ocean and laying on the sand.