"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Road Food

Old 04-19-2010, 08:45 AM   #11
Sous Chef

Nope, we have Big-Y and Stop & Shop (and Fosters Supermarket, the local business I shop at). Whole Foods is the next closest place - a 20 minute ride from home.

Old 04-19-2010, 07:33 PM   #12
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune View Post
There is no doubt that much of what WF sells falls into the category of "Special occasion Shopping" for most consumers, but the quality of much of what WF sells is far above that of mainstream supermarkets, especially when it comes to meat and fish.
Whole Foods finally opened a grocery in my state a few years ago. It is gigantic, magnificent, probably one of their flagship stores, and just my luck that it's close to my home. But I don't shop there often, just for stuff I can't get elsewhere.

I will mention that WF is a good place for "Special need Shopping." Organics is a whole 'nother discussion thread, but if you need gluten-free food for example, WF has an entire aisle of choices. Other dietary needs are stocked, and for that I applaud Whole Foods.

Old 04-19-2010, 09:53 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Good food isn't cheap. My experience with Whole foods has been appreciation for really fine quality and the fact that the food I bought there lasted longer in my fridge so I actually saved money because I tossed less,or trimmed less, or only had to go to one store to do all my shopping. etc.
Old 04-20-2010, 08:39 AM   #14
Sous Chef

Good food is often cheap when it's in season and purchased in it's native area.
Old 04-20-2010, 10:36 AM   #15
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Our local "Whole Foods" type store is a tad on the expensive side, but tops in bulk food prices. If I'm looking to try a new spice or grain item I can buy the amount I need for my recipe and not have it sitting around forever waiting to be used up. I love the produce department and the cheese counter. However, even at this market I tend to shop the outer edges of the store and rarely make it into the middle of the store.

Another regional store is where I do most of my shopping for canned and frozen goods.
Old 04-20-2010, 11:51 AM   #16
Senior Cook

Thank you all for the amazing responses on this!!!! I love hearing about opinions on these specialty grocery stores from different areas that also have a Whole Foods, or something similar...
Nicholas: that's awesome how you can get those custom orders literally as fresh as possible within a couple of days notice!
When I have a little more time today, I want to try to respond to each of these individually.... Some good points were made on the whole "quantity vs quality" issue, and I agree with a lot of the points..
A week after my purchase there, my last pear and lemon were in PERFECT condition. Not a single bruise, or rotted area at all... And tasted amazing still! I was so happy with the small amount of items that I purchased there, and so true about actually saving money because you don't have to throw anything away...
Old 04-25-2010, 04:19 PM   #17
Sous Chef

I go just about every week & get stuff I can't get elsewhere, or stuff that's cheapest there. (But mainly the first option !)

Larabars and other energy bars are cheapest there. I also like their White Whole Wheat Flour. The Almond Dream (did I get that name right) has a new non dairy ice cream that we like, Praline Crunch.

I've gotten their non dairy protein powder, herbs, and sometimes their vegetarian sausages and cheeses. I also like their English muffins, the kind that's got a few grains - not just whole wheat.

They have an amazing nut free granola that goes on sale every so often.