A bit of a con!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mad Cook

Master Chef
Went to make a sandwich for lunch and needed mayo but nothing came out of the Hellman's squeezy bottle. To cut a long story short I ended up cutting the bottle in half with the bread knife with the result that I retrieved a full measuring cup of mayo out of it!!!

Another instance of the "convenient" new packaging being convenient only for the manufacturer of the contents.

Last edited:
I know what you mean.I get probably an extra 2-3 weeks of use out of makeup, lotions, etc. if I just take the cap off when I can no longer get anything from the pump.

I store all my bottles upside down when it gets down to half empty. But I still take that cap off when it seems empty and scrape out the rest. I have a scraper that is very narrow with a long handle. One of my Dollar Store finds. I don't miss a drop. :angel:

I shake my squeeze mayo towards the cap end when it starts getting low. And after that I bang it on the counter to settle the mayo towards the cap. I've checked before and there was barely enough mayo left for one sandwich when I took the cap off.
I'm still torn as to which container I prefer though. I like the convenience of the squeeze bottle and not going through knife after knife when I am in a sandwich making mood, but I also like my mayo spread more evenly on the bread. It just doesn't spread out as well as ketchup when squeezed from a bottle and smooshed with a piece of bread.
I buy whichever is on sale. And the jars go on sale more than the squeeze bottles.

Hold the bottle upside down in your hand with a finger over the cap. Now, spin your arm very rapidly in a windmill fashion a few times. The centrifugal force will make any contents go towards the cap end. I do this many times at work when we get busy and the bottles start to get empty. Gets a few weird looks from customers. The joy of open kitchen restaurants...

I don't like the mustard water that always seems to come out of those plastic squeeze bottles before the mustard!

When I get to the bottom of one of those squeeze bottles I add some vinegar, water, garlic and herbs give it a good shake and have a couple days worth of "house dressing" for my salads. It seems to work with most any condiment.

I don't like the mustard water that always seems to come out of those plastic squeeze bottles before the mustard!

When I get to the bottom of one of those squeeze bottles I add some vinegar, water, garlic and herbs give it a good shake and have a couple days worth of "house dressing" for my salads. It seems to work with most any condiment.

Another reason to shake.
But if I recall the jars got water on top, too, so you had to stir them.

Another reason to shake.
But if I recall the jars got water on top, too, so you had to stir them.

Bottle type doesn't matter. All my mustard and ketchup bottles get shaken to redistribute the separated "water".

I also move the contents towards the tip of squeeze bottles by tapping the spout on the counter several times.

Bottle type doesn't matter. All my mustard and ketchup bottles get shaken to redistribute the separated "water".

I also move the contents towards the tip of squeeze bottles by tapping the spout on the counter several times.

It only seems to matter if you use those ketchup bottles that were meant to be stored cap end down. In which case the water rises to the bottom ;)

It only seems to matter if you use those ketchup bottles that were meant to be stored cap end down. In which case the water rises to the bottom ;)

With the traditional glass ketchup bottle, the water sits on top and spills out first when you pour. It needs to be shaken to prevent that.

The watery mustard bothers me too. I just give it a few shakes.

What really irks me is that these type bottles just won't stay upright and are constantly falling over in the door shelves.

Given the option of a squeeze bottle or screw off top I'll choose the screw off top. But they are getting harder and harder to find. :(
The ones I really dislike are the ones you can't see the contents thru. :mad:
Call it a pet peve but I like to see the condition of what I'm putting on my food.
And always shake first. ;) Not much worse then that shot of juice that arrives before the condiment. :ermm:

Definitely shake. I even shake bottled BBQ sauce and that doesn't separate.
Maybe it's ingrained to give a shake or stir to products in a liquidy state.

As ingrained as it may be there are those times when you have a brain fart and get that plop and just say Oh *##*. :doh:

They need to develop self shaking condiment bottles. ;)

That one I'd buy.

Hah, been there done that myself. Or I gave the mustard a quick shake when it needed a long shake.
We need a vibrating door shelf. How hard could that be? Have it come on whenever the compressor kicks on.

As ingrained as it may be there are those times when you have a brain fart and get that plop and just say Oh *##*. :doh:

They need to develop self shaking condiment bottles. ;)

That one I'd buy.

Hah, been there done that myself. Or I gave the mustard a quick shake when it needed a long shake.
We need a vibrating door shelf. How hard could that be? Have it come on whenever the compressor kicks on.

How about if they just make condiments that don't separate???

Back
Top Bottom