"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Salads & Salad Dressings

Old 02-15-2006, 04:43 PM   #1
Senior Cook

A fantastic,and simple, spinach salad

This is so good, it can steal the show.
The amounts can vary. I use 2-3 cups fresh spinach. Add 1/2 c.+- dried cranberries, 1/2 c.+- chopped walnuts, and sprinkle with feta cheese and toss. Use a vinaigrette for the dressing. I bring the cheese and cranberries to room temperature.

Old 02-15-2006, 04:44 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Phil this does sound good and easy too!

Have you ever used pecans instead of walnuts?

Old 02-15-2006, 04:50 PM   #3
Senior Cook

Not in this one

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdswife
Phil this does sound good and easy too!

Have you ever used pecans instead of walnuts?
...because the genius that put this together got the flavors perfect, for me, anyway. I do keep fresh pecans on hand at all times. I eat them every day with Grape Nuts, bananas, raisins, and a sprinkle of Wheaties. I simply love variety.
Old 02-15-2006, 10:05 PM   #4
Executive Chef

YUM, Phil. I like strawberry spinach salad. Will give it a try with cranberries. Thank you.
Old 02-16-2006, 01:46 AM   #5
Traveling Welcome Wagon

This sounds great!

Barbara
Old 02-16-2006, 01:51 AM   #6
Hospitality Queen

Phil I love this salad too! I've changed it here and there, depending on what I had on hand, such as using candied pecans rather than walnuts (well, that, and I'm allergic to raw walnuts...), using mandarin oranges in addition to the cranberries and using gorgonzolla if I'm out of feta. Any way you make it, it is a feast for the eyes and the tastebuds. Thank you so much for posting!!!
Old 02-16-2006, 03:55 PM   #7
Senior Cook

You are more than welcom...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkath
Phil I love this salad too! I've changed it here and there, depending on what I had on hand, such as using candied pecans rather than walnuts (well, that, and I'm allergic to raw walnuts...), using mandarin oranges in addition to the cranberries and using gorgonzolla if I'm out of feta. Any way you make it, it is a feast for the eyes and the tastebuds. Thank you so much for posting!!!
...as it does tingle the tasebuds. I like to use carmelized pecans on my sweet potato pie. I have a recipe that calls for a layer of them in the crust of the pie. I can't wait 'till the holidays to post seveal knockout things. But, so far, this has been as much fun.
Old 02-16-2006, 04:17 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to kimbaby Send a message via Yahoo to kimbaby
this sounds really good,I have never had it,but i want to try it :)
Old 02-18-2006, 12:55 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Send a message via AIM to Piccolina Send a message via MSN to Piccolina Send a message via Yahoo to Piccolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil
The amounts can vary. I use 2-3 cups fresh spinach. Add 1/2 c.+- dried cranberries, 1/2 c.+- chopped walnuts, and sprinkle with feta cheese and toss. Use a vinaigrette for the dressing. I bring the cheese and cranberries to room temperature.
That does sound amazing I wonder (if a person didn't have dried cranberries or wasn't fond of them) if you could use, say, dried cherries or another fruit here too? But trust me, it sounds lovely like this - thanks for sharing, Phil

"The most indispensable ingredient of all good home cooking: love, for those you are cooking for" ~ Sophia Loren
Piccolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 08:41 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil
Phil,
I talked my daughters through the making of your lovely salad..It was delightful..I had them make a cranberry juice walnut oil vinegrette with a touch of sugar and meyer lemon to go over it, and the family ate every last bite. Thank you so much for sharing this great salad.

kadesma

Tags
None