A Thanksgiving salad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marmalady

Executive Chef
Did this last Thanksgiving and got swoons!

GINGERED APPLE-CRANBERRY SALAD

½ cup chopped celery
½ cup dried cranberries
2T orange juice
2 ½ cups chopped apples
½ - ¾ cup sour cream
2T sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
2 tsp. grated fresh ginger
3T chopped candied ginger

Cut apples in half, and core; chop into cubes. Combine sour cream, vanilla, orange juice, sugar, gingers. Mix celery, apples, cranberries together, and combine with sour cream mixture.

Cranberry Waldorf

Sounds alot like this one that I make.

Cranberry Waldorf
1 c Cranberries, fresh, chopped
2 tb Sugar
2 Apples, peeled, cored (use one sweet and one tart)
1 tb Fresh lemon juice
3 Celery ribs, thinly sliced
1/2 c Walnuts, toasted, chopped
1/4 c Raisins
1/4 c Mayonnaise

1.Toss the cranberries with the sugar to mix. Sprinkle the chopped apples with the lemon juice to prevent browning.
2.Mix the cranberries and apples with the remaining ingredients. Cover and chill several hours before serving.

marmalady said:
Did this last Thanksgiving and got swoons!

GINGERED APPLE-CRANBERRY SALAD

½ cup chopped celery
½ cup dried cranberries
2T orange juice
2 ½ cups chopped apples
½ - ¾ cup sour cream
2T sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
2 tsp. grated fresh ginger
3T chopped candied ginger

Cut apples in half, and core; chop into cubes. Combine sour cream, vanilla, orange juice, sugar, gingers. Mix celery, apples, cranberries together, and combine with sour cream mixture.

This sounds fantastic, marmalady! Do you think it would work with nonfat or lowfat sour cream or would that totally destroy it?

I personally don't use the 'no fat' for anything - I hate it! But it should be fine with low fat. In fact, I may have used that last year, and saw no difference.

marmalady said:
I personally don't use the 'no fat' for anything - I hate it! But it should be fine with low fat. In fact, I may have used that last year, and saw no difference.

I usually don't use it either, but since I eat too many homemade high fat desserts, I try to keep the fat down in my main and side dishes. Non fat sour cream on its own has NO taste, but I tried it mixed with orange juice, etc. in a recipe for "Mock Strawberries Romanoff" a long time ago, and it was pretty good. I just don't make it a habit - it could never compare to the real thing! If I do your salad for Thanksgiving, I may use the lowfat, but will probably just use the regular full fat sour cream - after all, it IS Thanksgiving!

Wow this sounds great...I have started working on Thanksgiving and I found cinnamon chips w/apple salsa on the appetizer site...I also wanted something to dip the chips in...this seems to be it.
Thanks

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom