"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Salads & Salad Dressings

Old 02-10-2006, 02:20 AM   #1
Cook

Anyone try chili sauce with salads?

Basically my thing is I often like to make spicy salads with seafood and put them in tupperware to have later at work. I've used some recommended ingredients from this forum like onion or radish or chipotle.

Anyway there is a brand of chili sauce I like called Sriracha. I think it's great. I tried it on some leftover chili cheese fries I had from a restaurant and I thought it improved the flavor a lot. On a whim I decided to try just sprinkling dabs of it in my salads along with the dressing and I think it helps to add the kind of flavor I was looking for.

Old 02-10-2006, 09:44 AM   #2
Master Chef

i would never be without the red rooster!!
it goes on salads, in soups, dips, sauces, and on and on

Old 02-10-2006, 10:02 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

sriracha is great on pizza, steamed mussels and clams, and even on a tuna salad sandwich. i've also used it to make asian style buffalo wings.
if i run out of frank's hot sauce, sriracha is probably my next choice.
Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 10:35 AM   #4
Master Chef

Yep

I keep it on hand for everything! Even good for spicing up a bloody mary! Yummy!
Old 02-10-2006, 10:38 AM   #5
Master Chef

i agree- matter of fact, this hot sauce actually is used like ketchup around here.......................
Old 02-10-2006, 10:52 AM   #6
Master Chef

For those of you who can't find this gem, this recipe is pretty close; not exactly right, but good when you can't have the real deal
LT

Sriracha Hot Chili Sauce Recipe
By: Dave Drum
For those so inclined, here is a recipe for making your own sriracha hot sauce:

Fill a container half full with peeled garlic cloves. Fill the rest of the way with 2 (at least) habaneros and a mix of dried serrano and cayenne pods that have been stemmed but not seeded. Add 1 tablespoon of non-iodized salt and fill the container (to cover chile pods and garlic) with 5% strength white vinegar. Cider vinegar or wine vinegar will work but will give you a different flavour.

As the chile pods re-hydrate top up the liquid with water or vinegar. After a few days to a week of steeping in the vinegar dump the whole mess into the food processor or blender and puree until a smooth, thick consistency is reached. If the mixture is too thick it may be thinned with vinegar or water.

The resulting sauce is tangy, quite garlicky and very tasty. Mixed 50/50 with tomato sauce (American catsup) it makes a very nice seafood cocktail sauce. Or it can serve as a salsa on tortilla chips. It's very versatile.
Old 02-10-2006, 12:29 PM   #7
Master Chef

Suh-wheet!

Luckytrim... thanks for the recipe!!! Man, I love being able to make your own chili sauce!!!!!
Old 02-10-2006, 03:11 PM   #8
Executive Chef

In salad dressings I prefer to use Mae Ploy because of the sweetness it adds. But use that only if you want a sweet component.
Old 02-10-2006, 03:11 PM   #9
Head Chef

Love sriracha, but then again love most hot sauces.

Sure will put hot sauce on salads, and most things.

We love the tang and flavor.

But will use it in many dishes for people who claim they do not like hot sauce. Just keep in below the level of their taste bud level for hot. Use in in stuffing, spaghetti sauce, stews, lasagna, chicken salad (would use it in egg salad if I could stand the stuff), in scrambled eggs or on fried ones, the list doesn't stop.

It really improves the flavor of a dish.

When one of us asks does this dish need something, the answer is usually hot sauce and .............
Old 02-11-2006, 02:26 AM   #10
Executive Chef

Send a message via AIM to Piccolina Send a message via MSN to Piccolina Send a message via Yahoo to Piccolina
I'm not a hot chilli person but I do love sweet chilli sauces (like the Thai ones). A great, easy salad is to stir-fry some chicken/pork/turkey/etc in as much sweet chilli sauce as you like and place it onto of a hearty lettuce like romaine (cos) or into the little gem leaves (good as appetizers). Sprinkle with bean sprout and a few cashews/peanuts (shredded carrot is nice too) and dig in, it's awesome

"The most indispensable ingredient of all good home cooking: love, for those you are cooking for" ~ Sophia Loren
Piccolina is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None