Assistance with blue cheese dressing requested

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You have too many ingredients. All you need is bleu cheese, Mayo or Miracle Whip (my fave), and a little milk to thin it. If you want pepper, add it to your salad after it's dressed.

Try this, you'll never go back...

Mayonnaise (2 parts)
Sour cream (1 part)
Buttermilk to thin
Crumbled blue cheese (not Gorgonzola - try a maytag blue)
Worcestershire sauce (1 tsp per 2 cups of dressing)
Grated fresh onion
Granulated garlic
White pepper
Salt to taste

Try this, you'll never go back...

Mayonnaise (2 parts)
Sour cream (1 part)
Buttermilk to thin
Crumbled blue cheese (not Gorgonzola - try a maytag blue)
Worcestershire sauce (1 tsp per 2 cups of dressing)
Grated fresh onion
Granulated garlic
White pepper
Salt to taste

That is the recipe we had at Sizzler. I made a mash of the last 5 ingredients, for overnight, the next day (first thing) would stir in the mayo and sour cream so it would be ready by lunch. I wish I could find my card, I had all the amounts on it. I could eat this with a spoon and it was fantastic on steak.

For me I would use less ingredients. No garlic or sour cream or even mayonnaise to start with. I would blend most of the cheese with a little cream to loosen it and perhaps some white pepper. taste and then if you want, add some mayonnaise and perhaps a little lemon juice. I think garlic could alter the flavor enough to get away from the blue cheese flavor you want to keep. When you are happy, crumble the rest of the cheese and fold in gently for texture.
This is just my preference of course ;)

Mayonnaise has no place in a blue cheese dressing. Or anywhere in food. But that's just my opinion. That stuff makes me gag.

The things we know vs what we think we know.

I just looked up my favorite blue cheese dressing recipe card. Haven't read it in Years! because I know how to make it from "memory".

Among other things it called for 1 Cup Mayo. I use at most 2 Tbsp. Red wine vinegar. I usually use lemon and zest. Garlic powder vs smashed garlic clove(s) I usually use. Buttermilk. I usually use a little plain milk to thin it to consistency after it's all stirred up.
I Always add green onion, that chive plant in the garden is the most neglected thing I know. It calls for chives.

Parsely , not in original recipe

Worcester shire, a cap full, 2 tsp called for in original recipe.
Sometimes a small spoonful horseradish, I knew this wasn't in original recipe.
Original calls for Sugar. That hasn't crossed my mind or a measuring spoon probably ever!

My original says 4 oz blue cheese. Pffft, That and More, some to smoosh and mix and more to crumble.

Now, whoever above said add Tarragon. Brilliant. I grow this and even buy it at out rageous prices by the Stem off season. Love it.

Gotta re-work the Recipe and Write down my favorite next time I make this.

I made a blue cheese dressing last night using the following ingredients:

Sour cream
Mayonnaise
Gorgonzola
Granulated garlic
Black pepper
Parsley
Chives
Salt
Milk to thin it

It tasted great, but it didn't taste like blue cheese dressing except when I got bites with a chunk of blue cheese. When I used the leftovers this afternoon it was the same thing. What I'm looking for is a light blue cheese flavor through out the entire thing with crumbles of blue cheese adding occasional intensity.

My first instinct is to use the hand blender to mix some of the gorganzola with the sour cream before adding everything else but I'm open to suggestions. Anyone have an idea about the best way to accomplish my goal?

Personally, I would omit the mayonnaise.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom