Best potato salad recipe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My best potato salad trick is Italian dressing. As soon as the potatoes are cooked and chopped, toss them with Italian dressing and let it soak in while they cool. Proceed with your favorite potato salad recipe/veggies/dressings.

Welcome to DC! It depends for whom you are cooking. My "recurring nightmare" is my father saying "ich moetche kartoffle salad haben"(sorry abou the spelling errors). I make a potato salad that is oil and vinegar based. I boil "blue," "red," and white potatoes and make an "Italian like" dressing. Sorry, I don't measure and my recipes are "inspired" by others and I'm too shy to post those inspired recipes in case I violate copyright. Experiment!

My best potato salad trick is Italian dressing. As soon as the potatoes are cooked and chopped, toss them with Italian dressing and let it soak in while they cool. Proceed with your favorite potato salad recipe/veggies/dressings.
sounds intriguing to me, but i'm a bit confused--is the italian dressing all the dressing that is needed for this dish? how would you finish it off--what else would you add, for instance, to complete this summer potato salad?

sounds intriguing to me, but i'm a bit confused--is the italian dressing all the dressing that is needed for this dish? how would you finish it off--what else would you add, for instance, to complete this summer potato salad?

You proceed as if you had done nothing to the potatoes. Follow your favorite recipe. For a Memorial day picnic, which I shopped for today - LOL. I will use about 3 pounds of Yukon gold and a large sweet potato and toss with about a half a bottle of Italian. While that cools, I will chop a Vidalia onion, 4 or 5 hard boiled eggs, 10 or so radishes, 1 carrot and about 3 stalks of celery. Mix those with about a cup of frozen green peas and pickle relish, about 1/3 C, I guess, but I just look at it. Then mix the veg with 2 parts mayo, 1 part yogurt and 1 part mustard. Fold into the potatoes.

Spot on Nora we do the same:)

Welcome to DC! It depends for whom you are cooking. My "recurring nightmare" is my father saying "ich moetche kartoffle salad haben"(sorry abou the spelling errors). I make a potato salad that is oil and vinegar based. I boil "blue," "red," and white potatoes and make an "Italian like" dressing. Sorry, I don't measure and my recipes are "inspired" by others and I'm too shy to post those inspired recipes in case I violate copyright. Experiment!
Ich auch.
Hot marinated in oil and vinegar with some chopped onions, Minors beef stock, ground pepper, parsely, and some chopped lovage or European Maggi. For cold potato salad, the mayo with hard boiled eggs and sweet pickle relish works to.

Mine too, but I use a packet of Italian Salad Dressing Mix as the only seasoning along with a capful of vinegar. Never any left over.:chef:

Some great ideas here! I usually make the standard Hellman's recipe, but this time I used the Italian Dressing packet, sweet relish, shallots and chive blossoms, and a mix of Hellman's Lite mayo and plain yogurt along with yellow mustard and vinegar. It's chilling right now, but even the unchilled results were delicious!

Last edited:
Just checked mine out after chillin', and it is outstanding! Forgot to to mention I also added chopped radishes along with hard boiled eggs. The stuff I learn here!

I could bathe in a good potato salad...

Last edited:
I just made potato salad also. I cooked 1.5 lb tiny red potatoes skins on till tender. Drained them and sliced while hot then tossed with white vinegar and allowed to sit 10 minutes then placed in fridge to cooled a bit. The dressing was ground sea salt, ground peppercorns, mayo, sour cream, celery, green onion and yellow onion. I have never put eggs in my potato salad.

Like Dawgluver said even warm it is good.

Mine is really simple. I boil organic potatoes with the skins on. When they are cooked I cut them up and sprinkle with balsamic vinegar, salt, and freshly ground pepper. When they are cold I add chopped celery and scallions, Hellmann's and maybe some yoghurt. I'll ad chopped parsley, if I'm in the mood. This is always popular.

Love the Italian dressing trick, I will try next time. I like a simple potato salad, as long as your potatoes are good (ie jersey royals) are my favourite than you don't need alot else, I like mine with fresh garden mint spring onions and chives.

My hubby and I make a potato salad that is sort of the mutant child of the potato salad my mom always made while I was growing up and the potato salad his mom always made while he was growing up adjusted to fit our mutual tastes. I don't have measurements but here are the ingredients and general prep instructions.

Salad:
Cooked red potatoes, skin on
Hard boiled eggs
Celery
Cucumber
Red delicious apple

Dressing:
Sweet pickle relish
Miracle Whip (or preferred brand salad dressing)
Powdered mustard
Granulated onion
Black pepper

Mix relish, Miracle Whip, powdered mustard, granulated onion and black pepper in a bowl. Cover and place in fridge for a half hour. Taste and adjust seasoning if needed. Dice potatoes, eggs, celery, cucumber and apple. Mix with dressing. Chill if desired.

The only unusual ingredient in mine is, instead of sweat relish, I add a fine dice of sweet, pickled daikon radish, which, store-bought, is traditionally dyed a bright neon yellow.

I grew up in san Francisco and we bought potato Salad at herman's deli. Was white in color and had parsley on top. I can never find a recipe for it. Does anyone know how to make ? I know I did not give much info. But if you ever had it, you would know what I am asking for.

Back
Top Bottom