"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Salads & Salad Dressings
Old 05-29-2011, 02:07 PM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
Just checked mine out after chillin', and it is outstanding! Forgot to to mention I also added chopped radishes along with hard boiled eggs. The stuff I learn here!

I could bathe in a good potato salad...

Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 04:59 PM   #32
Master Chef
I just made potato salad also. I cooked 1.5 lb tiny red potatoes skins on till tender. Drained them and sliced while hot then tossed with white vinegar and allowed to sit 10 minutes then placed in fridge to cooled a bit. The dressing was ground sea salt, ground peppercorns, mayo, sour cream, celery, green onion and yellow onion. I have never put eggs in my potato salad.

Like Dawgluver said even warm it is good.

Your hand and your mouth agreed many years ago that, as far as chocolate is concerned, there is no need to involve your brain. -Dave Barry
msmofet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 08:23 PM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Mine is really simple. I boil organic potatoes with the skins on. When they are cooked I cut them up and sprinkle with balsamic vinegar, salt, and freshly ground pepper. When they are cold I add chopped celery and scallions, Hellmann's and maybe some yoghurt. I'll ad chopped parsley, if I'm in the mood. This is always popular.
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 03:17 AM   #34
Love the Italian dressing trick, I will try next time. I like a simple potato salad, as long as your potatoes are good (ie jersey royals) are my favourite than you don't need alot else, I like mine with fresh garden mint spring onions and chives.
SadieBaby. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 09:12 AM   #35
Executive Chef
My hubby and I make a potato salad that is sort of the mutant child of the potato salad my mom always made while I was growing up and the potato salad his mom always made while he was growing up adjusted to fit our mutual tastes. I don't have measurements but here are the ingredients and general prep instructions.

Cooked red potatoes, skin on
Hard boiled eggs
Red delicious apple

Sweet pickle relish
Miracle Whip (or preferred brand salad dressing)
Powdered mustard
Granulated onion
Black pepper

Mix relish, Miracle Whip, powdered mustard, granulated onion and black pepper in a bowl. Cover and place in fridge for a half hour. Taste and adjust seasoning if needed. Dice potatoes, eggs, celery, cucumber and apple. Mix with dressing. Chill if desired.
Just because something has a duck bill doesn't mean it's a platypus. It might just be a duck.
Roger Miller: You can't roller skate in a buffalo heard, but you can be happy if you've a mind to.
purple.alien.giraffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 04:23 PM   #36
Head Chef
The only unusual ingredient in mine is, instead of sweat relish, I add a fine dice of sweet, pickled daikon radish, which, store-bought, is traditionally dyed a bright neon yellow.
spork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 02:25 PM   #37
Assistant Cook
I grew up in san Francisco and we bought potato Salad at herman's deli. Was white in color and had parsley on top. I can never find a recipe for it. Does anyone know how to make ? I know I did not give much info. But if you ever had it, you would know what I am asking for.

Alroseville is offline   Reply With Quote