"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Salads & Salad Dressings

Old 02-08-2014, 03:48 PM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprout View Post
One time I wanted croutons but didn't have suitable bread and didn't want to trek all the way to the big grocery store. We have a mediterranean market about 1/2 mile down the road so I popped in. They sell these packages of plain little dry toasts (roughly cracker size). I bought a package, took them home, broken them up and pan-fried them in some leftover bacon grease with a touch of salt. They were delicious! It was like adding croutons and bacon bits in one. I imagine it would work just as well with dried bread from home.

I struggle with croutons. I like the flavor and crunch (on certain salads) but don't like how difficult they are to get onto my fork! I liked being able to break them into small enough pieces that they just stuck to the salad. No stabbing necessary.
I feel the same way about croutons - they're usually to hard for me to bite easily and too big to be comfortable, and are hard to pick up. I think I've seen little toasts like that in one of the regular grocery stores but about the size of my thumbnail. I think they're for putting in Chex party mix-type thing. I'm going to look for those and try your idea. Also, they have tri-color Mexican fried tortilla strips that I use for salad croutons sometimes.

Old 02-08-2014, 07:04 PM   #32
Executive Chef

My lack of upper teeth prevents me from eating croutons right now. A temporary situation. I like Pepperidge farm croutons and used to eat them dry as a snack. I think it was a different brand but the same difference. Jr likes Stove top so we used to have that a lot when he was growing up.

Usually I make my own dry bread cubes for stuffing.

Old 02-08-2014, 08:34 PM   #33
Head Chef

I occasionally use French fried onions from a can or c h o w mien noodles in place of croutons. Makes a nice flavor change.
Old 02-08-2014, 10:15 PM   #34
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I think I've seen little toasts like that in one of the regular grocery stores but about the size of my thumbnail. I think they're for putting in Chex party mix-type thing. I'm going to look for those and try your idea.
The ones I bought this particular time were bigger, something like this:

The little ones you're talking about may work well too though. I've never had plain ones, but I know the rye ones can be really crunchy though.
Always try to bring a spare set of clothing when you dream about going to work or school. That way, if you encounter someone having that dream where they show up in their underwear, you'll be their hero.
Sprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 10:31 PM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprout View Post
The ones I bought this particular time were bigger, something like this:

The little ones you're talking about may work well too though. I've never had plain ones, but I know the rye ones can be really crunchy though.
Those are kind of international. It says "Product of France", then the description is in German and they use the word "snacks" in the German description. The pix are like Danish open faced sandwiches.
Old 02-08-2014, 10:38 PM   #36
Executive Chef

Another alternative to croutons I've tried and like is shoe string potato stix. I think I got this idea from a take out "Asian" chicken salad that had them tossed in the salad.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pik-Nik%20Shoestring%20Potatoes%209oz.png
Views:	132
Size:	239.8 KB
ID:	20721  
Old 02-09-2014, 06:47 PM   #37
Chef Extraordinaire

I like the idea of the stove top dried cubes in some french onion sou[ topped with cheese & heated. Yumm! Thanks for the idea Chief!
Old 02-09-2014, 07:07 PM   #38
Proud American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
I don't usually put croutons on my tossed salads. I was wondering if something similar, but with more flavor would work. So I used some leftover, uncooked, StoveTop Stuffing mix and tried it. It worked really well. I had lots of flavor, with the same crunch, but in smaller pieces so that the full salad flavor still came through. I thought it was pretty tasty.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
Oh my! I would never have thought of this. How clever you are! Which flavor of the stuffing did you use?

I was thinking perhaps the Savory Herbs one, yes? I will try this!

With love,
~Cat
Old 02-09-2014, 07:08 PM   #39
Proud American

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Those are kind of international. It says "Product of France", then the description is in German and they use the word "snacks" in the German description. The pix are like Danish open faced sandwiches.
That's quite international, isn't it? Ha!

With love,
~Cat
Old 02-09-2014, 07:24 PM   #40
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatPat View Post
Oh my! I would never have thought of this. How clever you are! Which flavor of the stuffing did you use?

I was thinking perhaps the Savory Herbs one, yes? I will try this!

With love,
~Cat
I used what was in the pantry, a partial package of Turkey flavor. But I think you choice of Savory Herbs would be fabulous. Great idea.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
other