Better Than Croutons

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
I don't usually put croutons on my tossed salads. I was wondering if something similar, but with more flavor would work. So I used some leftover, uncooked, StoveTop Stuffing mix and tried it. It worked really well. I had lots of flavor, with the same crunch, but in smaller pieces so that the full salad flavor still came through. I thought it was pretty tasty.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I'll stay with my homemade croutons. That stuff is too hard and tastes like preservatives to me. I make my homemade ones to my taste and they use up leftover bread that gets thrown in the freezer when it starts to go stale.

I like to use crumbled Triscuits or sometimes Cheez-Its. when I want the crunch and don't have croutons.

I'll have to give Stovetop a try. :yum:

I only use homemade croutons. Night and day difference from store bought.

Same here.

True story. In 2009, we had an exchange student from Spain stay with us over the summer. We eat a lot of salad variations, especially during the summer months. And that was fine with our live-in, as she seemed to enjoy them quite a bit.

One day Silvia saw me cutting up old bread heels to make croutons. She said, "I very much like the toast pieces you put in your salads. I must tell my mother about this invention."

I had to laugh and explain that France should probably get most of the credit. But I thought it was a little unusual that someone from that part of Europe wasn't familiar with croutons.

The Pyrenees made a huge barrier between Spain and France for most of their histories. Then the communist, military rule of Franco deterred outside influence. They've only been a democratic country for 40 years.

The Pyrenees made a huge barrier between Spain and France for most of their histories. Then the communist, military rule of Franco deterred outside influence. They've only been a democratic country for 40 years.

I never realized communism had a suck a large affect on croutons.
That's stuff you just don't see on the History Channel :LOL:

Wait a minute. The penny just dropped. Franco wasn't a communist. He was a fascist. The West tolerated him because he was anti-communist.

I've never used it as croutons, but I've eaten stovetop before. It doesn't taste salty at all to me. It has that "chicken herbage" kind of flavor. I like adding my own sauteed onions and celery to it because it's just right for my tastes.
Just goes to show ya...

I've never made croutons and I pick out those teeth breakers one gets in a restaurant. I think stove top stuffing would be too salty for me too.
I do enjoy a sprinkle of sunflower seeds on top of a salad though.

Maybe I'll make some croutons. Are there any tricks besides butter and herbs?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom