Black Eye Pea Salad TNT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GB

Chief Eating Officer
Black Eye Pea Salad

2 cups black eye peas
4 oz. white onion - diced
6 oz. red bell peppers - diced
4 oz. black olives - chopped
1 tbsp oregano
4 oz. parsley
(great with cilantro too)

For the dressing:
6 oz. EVOO
Zest of half a lime
4 oz. white vinegar
1 tsp chopped garlic
1 tbsp sugar
salt and pepper to taste

Combine first 6 ingredients in a large bowl.
Mix dressing in a separate bowl and pour over salad.
Adjust with salt and pepper to taste.

This is even better the second day.

Yes, canned (drained and rinsed). This is one of my favorite recipes to make for a summer time cookout.

I wonder if canned black beans or kidney beans could be substituted. I think I'm the only person in the South who doesn't like black eyed peas.

I am sure they could Licia. I think just about any canned bean could be used. I bet chick peas would be an interesting sub as well. Or use a mix of different types.

GB, I have several cans of pink-eye purple-hull peas, which are another field pea in the same family as black-eye peas. How do you think they would work in this recipe?

I think they would work great constance. This is a very forgiving recipe. It can hold up to all sorts of changes and alterations.

This is a wonderful variation on my 5 bean cold salad. Thank you for these inspiring ideas. Oh boy, do I feel sorry for my bathroom scale. hahaha

MMMMMM...Blk-eyed pea salad...we call it Southern Cavier around here-nice sounding recipe variation-thankx:chef:

This is all GB's inspiration. I tried it today - with my normal variation to include some real hot sauce. (Like my home-made chipotle chilies). They were WONDERFUL. Next time I think I will even add a small bit of corn. What do you think, GB?

Great ideas mbasiszta. I love hot sauce, but not sure if I would like it in this salad. I will try it next time though so that I will know for sure.

The corn idea is brilliant. I bet that worked very well. I will absolutely be trying that variation. Thanks for thinking of it!

GB, my wife tells people I even eat Tabasco on ice cream. Well, that might be an exageration - maybe. hahaha I do like all things spicey (well, maybe not ice cream after all.)

Your salad is great. All I did was "tweak" it a very little. Thank again.

I am so glad you enjoyed it and I love that you tweaked it. It is great when someone can take something and put a new spin on it and have it work.

Since it almost feels like summer here I decided to try this to go with my dinner on the grill. I am using red kidney beans since that is what I have. Sounds great and can't wait to dig in. Leftovers for lunch!

The leftovers will taste even better. This salad really takes on a new level on the second day.

Back
Top Bottom