Caesar Salad and dressing- I love Caesar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

di reston

Sous Chef
I love Caesar salad, but there seem to be lots of versions - Does anyone have a version that doesn't use anchovies, or are they essential, and what about crunchy bacon bits, as I have also seen those used? Looking forward to your replies!

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde:yum:

Neither anchovies nor bacon are part of the 'original' recipe. Just pick a recipe that tastes good to you and go with it. If you Google 'Original caesar salad recipe' you'll get several choices.

This is a simple knockoff of Caesar salad dressing that does not use anchovies or raw eggs. I like it because it can be used over a period of several days. It is a good basic creamy dressing that you can change by adding crumbled blue cheese, chopped herbs, bacon bits, etc...

If I don't have fresh lemon juice I make it with red wine vinegar. If it is too thick you can thin it with a little water.

Simple Creamy Caesar Dressing

This is a simple knockoff of Caesar salad dressing that does not use anchovies or raw eggs. I like it because it can be used over a period of several days. It is a good basic creamy dressing that you can change by adding crumbled blue cheese, chopped herbs, bacon bits, etc...

If I don't have fresh lemon juice I make it with red wine vinegar. If it is too thick you can thin it with a little water.

That's also the dipping sauce I use for our artichokes...just yummy.

I've made a similar dressing. Very good!

Most of the Caesars in these parts are simply romaine, croutons, and dressing. No anchovies or bacon bits.

Last edited:
I watched a video once where Chef John used anchovy paste. He says it's a flavor enhancer. I've never seen it for sale, so I wouldn't know.

However, I did read once that Worcestershire sauce has fish oil in it and that's what's supposed to make it so flavorful. So.....instead of anchovies, you might want to consider the paste in a tube if you can find it.

I wonder how this would taste with homemade mayonnaise.

Last edited:

Thank you, AB! Copied and saved. :)

I'll be adding a little squirt of anchovy paste to my next dressing mix..
love that Umami effect!

I'll be adding a little squirt of anchovy paste to my next dressing mix..
love that Umami effect!

I enjoy umami flavor too!

I never have anchovy paste on hand and I'm too cheap to open a can of anchovies to make an everyday dressing. I wonder if a squirt or two of soy sauce and a big pinch of mushroom dust would work.

I enjoy umami flavor too!

I never have anchovy paste on hand and I'm too cheap to open a can of anchovies to make an everyday dressing. I wonder if a squirt or two of soy sauce and a big pinch of mushroom dust would work.

Sure wouldn't hurt!! If you have it, fish sauce would work too.

Last edited:
I'm not an anchovy fan, but a small squirt of the anchovy paste in the tube is nice and convenient.

Many years ago, when I went on a Florida vacation with my family, I ordered a Caesar salad that unfortunately was covered in anchovy fillets. I had to pick them out. A small squirt of paste is much better.

Last edited:
"Wooster" sauce!

That's a town in Massachusetts. I think the sauce is pronounced something like WOO-ster-sher. At least I hope it is, because that's how I've been saying it.:LOL: Otherwise I have to learn a new pronunciation and it took me years to learn to say that one.

That's a town in Massachusetts. I think the sauce is pronounced something like WOO-ster-sher. At least I hope it is, because that's how I've been saying it.:LOL: Otherwise I have to learn a new pronunciation and it took me years to learn to say that one.

You almost have it right. Wooster-share And it is a major city located right in the heart of Massachusetts.

Now try Gloucester. Gloss-stir. Named after the one in England. Located on our North Shore and was for a couple of centuries a major fishing community. Not so anymore. We now get a lot of our fish from Canada and Iceland. :angel:

rr, "Wooster" is a small college town in OH.* Massachusetts residents might pronounce their second-largest city "Wooster" (more like "Woostah"), but it is spelled "Worcester". There is so much we don't understand about this state. :blink:

When I was a kid, I used to question my Mom constantly on why the condiment wasn't pronounced "wor-chester-shire". Drove that poor woman nuts. :( We pronounced it "woor-shish-sure" in the Cleveland area.

*David Bowie's son, Duncan Zowie Jones, graduated from The College of Wooster. A friend of our son's graduated from there two years after he did, and did know who he was. Everybody knew, since it's a small college of around 2,000. Em says that Duncan was just one of them, just another student. When David Bowie and his wife Iman visisted campus they were just another set of parents. Like, normal!

Back
Top Bottom