"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Salads & Salad Dressings

Old 05-16-2007, 05:26 PM   #11
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Traditionally, Italians serve the salad AFTER the meal, not as an appetizer.
Caine, I think that's a European thing. I've noted it in both France and Switzerland, as well.

I serve salad after the main course at my dinner parties... and I agree with you. The meal is often a salad, especially when I'm dining alone.

Old 05-19-2007, 04:42 AM   #12
Master Chef

Sorry, jennerose - that is NOT the recipe for a Caesar Salad. In fact, it is nowhere close!!! Assuming you are talking about the salad created by it's creator, Caesar Cardini, which bears his name. Nor is a salad limited to the role of an appetiser.

Serving a salad after the main meal is European ... so is the fruit and cheese course ... at the end of the meal. The main reason for doing this, whether they realized it of not, is to get rid of "skunk breath" from onions and garlic. Harold McGee talks about this in his book, "On Food and Cooking ... " (revised edition).

Barbara - if people have gotten uppity about iceberg - they probably don't know why .. they are just trying to follow the trendy TV Chef of the day and don't have a clue about the nutritional values of the various salad greens.

Although iceberg has virtually no nutritional value or calories - it is great as a bulking agent (fills your belly) and as such can be a great "diet" food - filling your stomach with very few calories.

Old 05-19-2007, 03:39 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW
Sorry, jennerose - that is NOT the recipe for a Caesar Salad. In fact, it is nowhere close!!! Assuming you are talking about the salad created by it's creator, Caesar Cardini, which bears his name.
LOL, thank you Mike.

Also, Caesar salads are not Italian per se. The creator of the salad was Italian but he was living in Mexico and dish was just thrown together at the last instant. To make it more "Italian", many versions use anchovy fillets or anchovy paste in the dressing but the orginal recipe did not contain any anchovies. It used Worcestershire sauce which gave it the anchovy taste. Besides the Worcestershire, the original recipe contained eggs, oil, lemon juice, parmesan, salt, and pepper. That's it.
Old 05-19-2007, 05:28 PM   #14
Senior Cook

A) I agree that salads need to be verastile and that iceberg lettuce can be just fine.

B) I'm not sure I agree with the explanation for the salad, cheese, and dessert courses coming after the main course "to clean one's breath".
The major reason for the salad (often served with garlic here, I might add) and fruit is to enhance digestion i.e. to get moving in the digestive tract all that has precedded!
As for cheese, it is rich and flavoursome, and a small amount at the end just seems to make sense. It is too rich and filling to start off with.

Best regards,
Alex R.
Old 05-19-2007, 07:33 PM   #15
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironchef
LOL, thank you Mike.

Also, Caesar salads are not Italian per se. The creator of the salad was Italian but he was living in Mexico and dish was just thrown together at the last instant. To make it more "Italian", many versions use anchovy fillets or anchovy paste in the dressing but the orginal recipe did not contain any anchovies. It used Worcestershire sauce which gave it the anchovy taste. Besides the Worcestershire, the original recipe contained eggs, oil, lemon juice, parmesan, salt, and pepper. That's it.
Not sure what's up with "jennerose", guys.

He/she posted how to make a sandwich the other day. Would love to know the story behind this poster ... a child? ... someone whose first language is something other than English? .... someone very, very new to internet forums?

All of the above?

Lee
Old 05-20-2007, 11:12 PM   #16
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by QSis
Not sure what's up with "jennerose", guys.

He/she posted how to make a sandwich the other day. Would love to know the story behind this poster ... a child? ... someone whose first language is something other than English? .... someone very, very new to internet forums?

All of the above?

Lee
or a con artist?
Old 05-21-2007, 12:11 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Well, let's all assume that jennyrose is trying to be helpful Being helpful comes in different forms. I bet we can assume ONE thing for sure - she's not trying to do any harm. I feel sure English might be a second, third, fourth, or even fifth language. Not because of the poor job she's done but because so many people speak so many languages fairly well. English IS my one and only language and I have a hard time as it is.

jennyrose might be very new to cooking and very young on top of that. No need to persecute just yet.

jennyrose - why don't you go to the Introduction and Birthday Forum and tell us a bit about yourself. I think we're getting a little confused. Many here are accomplished cooks - many here cook professionally now or at one time in their past cooked professionally. Going back to basics can certainly be rewarding but it appears some of the things you are saying can be taken as you think maybe we don't know the basics. If you read through some of the recipes and threads you will get a feel for what we know and don't know. Oh, I can assure you we all accept help and we all have questions - the best of the best here have questions (except Ironchef - he's our "go to" guy

So, we would love to hear your "story" and where you are from. We would like to get to know you.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 04:39 PM   #18
Head Chef

Iceburg is pretty low on the nutritional scale so using a lettuce or green that is darker in color is a very easy way to increase the nutrients. =P

A salad made with iceburg just pretty much tastes like the dressing while salads made with arugula or spinach or a baby greens mix have that added oomph of flavor which dressing enhances.

Z
Old 05-22-2007, 05:09 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caine
Traditionally, Italians serve the salad AFTER the meal, not as an appetizer.
This depends on if you're ordering the salad on it's own as a palate cleanser, or as a side dish with your entree. In Italy, salads are many times served with the secondo(entree course), as an option or side dish called a contorno. Many times, the secondi does not come with any vegetables or with very little vegetables. You must order a contorni (beit an insalata rucola, sauteed rapini, etc.) along with the secondo if you want to eat veggies along with your proteins.
Old 05-22-2007, 05:49 PM   #20
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironchef
This depends on if you're ordering the salad on it's own as a palate cleanser, or as a side dish with your entree.
I believe I specified that Italian restaurants will serve you the salad first, but that's only to keep you busy while they cook your entrée.

I was talking abour eating at home, not in a restaurant. You sit down at my mother's table and start giving orders, she'll take you outside and throw you under a train. That woman has little patience and no sense of humor!

Tags
None