Can anyone please share a fail-proof recipe for Caesar salad dressing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Safe raw egg recipes

One web site I visited said it is difficut to sterilize eggs at home. I have used this technique but still feel safer using the commercially available pasturized eggs.
Health food stores should have pasturized eggs if you can't find them in grocery stores.

Sterilized egg yolks.
2 lrg egg yolks 2 tea lemon juice 2 T water. Using fork or wire wisk, beat egg yolks until smooth in a 2 cup glass meassuring cup. Add lemon juice and beat again, Add water and beat again.
Cover the glass cup with plastic wrap and cook in a microwave on high until yolks begin to move or at 30 seconds of cooking open door at 10 sec intervals to check. When yolks begin to move, cook 8-10 sec more. Using a clean fork stir the yolks until smooth. Return yolks to microwave and heat on high until yolks begin to heave again. Using a clean forkbeat vigorously. Let stand 1 minute.

Mayonaise
Place Sterilized egg yolks in a food processor or mixer and process until smooth. Slowly add oil in a thin strean. Add salt and 1- 1 1/2 T lemon juice to taste. Process until thick and smooth.

Hollandaise Sauce
Beat 1-2 slices butter into hot egg yolks. Place in a small sauce pan over low heat, Add remaining butter slices and beat slowly just until melted. Adjust seasonings

Safe Caesar Salad
1/2 c olive oil
3 cloves garlic
1 T lemon juice
salt, pepper
6 c torn Romaine
1-2 sterilized egg yolks
! c Garlic croutons
1/3 c grated Parmesan
anchovies
In a blender combine olive oil, garlic and process until smooth. Add lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste. Pour dressing into the bottom of a large salad bowl. Add anchovies and mash into dressing until well blended. Stir in egg yolks. Add Romaine and toss until leaves are coated and shiny. Add Garlic croutons and mix lightly. Sprinkle with cheese just before serving.
These recipes were published in the Cleveland Plaindealer

coddling eggs

kitchenelf,
I read that coddling eggs is not safe because you can't be sure the eggs get to the proper temperatue to kill the bacteria.

If it's not too late, here is a very good recipe, especially for those who have a problem with raw eggs. This dressing is cooked, and it's light, fresh & delicious. It also lasts for a very long time in the refrigerator. I was surprised at how good it is:

LEMONY CAESAR SALAD

Have all ingredients ready before starting:

1 egg

1/3 cup chicken broth

2 anchovy fillets or 1 teaspoon anchovy paste (or use crushed olives)

3 tablespoons olive oil

Zest of one lemon (or 1 tbsp)

2 tablespoons lemon juice

1 teaspoon Dijon-style mustard

1/4 teaspoon white wine Worcestershire sauce (or soy sauce - i prefer soy)

1 garlic cloves (if desired) for dressing

1 clove garlic, halved

10 cups torn romaine

6 cherry tomatoes, halved

1 cup croutons

1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Directions

1. For dressing, in a blender container or food processor bowl combine egg, broth, anchovy fillets or olives, oil, lemon zest, lemon juice, mustard, garlic clove and Worcestershire or Soy sauce. Cover and blend or process until smooth. Transfer dressing to a small saucepan. Cook and stir over low heat for 8 to 10 minutes or until thickened. Do not boil. Transfer dressing to a small bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for 2 to 24 hours.

2. To serve, rub the inside of a wooden salad bowl with the cut sides of the garlic clove; discard garlic clove. Add romaine, cherry tomatoes, croutons, and Parmesan cheese to salad bowl. Pour dressing over salad. Toss lightly to coat. Transfer to salad plates. Grind peppercorns over each serving. Makes 6 side-dish servings.

Nutritional Information
Nutritional facts per serving
calories: 139, total fat: 10g, saturated fat: 2g, cholesterol: 40mg, sodium: 247mg, carbohydrate: 8g, fiber: 2g, protein: 6g, vitamin A: 27%, vitamin C: 48%, calcium: 10%

Last edited:
kitchenelf said:
lol Ishbel - yes, everyone here pretty much pronounces it worsetershire - hey, and don't be sayin' stuff like discomknockerated here - could get you penalized:mrgreen:

(love that word but I'll have to print it out and carry it with me to remember it!!!)
An old joke about how Worcestershire sauce (I pronounce it worse-ter-sheer) got its name is that a drunk grabbed the bottle and said, "Wuzz dis shere sauce?"

:) Barbara

We say Wooster sauce (we don't use the shire!!)

As I said, Leicester is not pronounced Lye sester, but Lester...

Bicester is Bister

Leominster is Lemster

And don't get me started on British surnames!

Cholmondleigh is Chumley
Gilzean is Gillen
MacFadzen is MacFadden
Menzies is Ming iss
Mainwairing is Mannering

And others, too numerous to mention :mrgreen:

If I remember correctly, eggs don't begin to set until they reach temperatures above 170 degrees F. That being the case, bring the eggs to 150 degrees in water and let sit for 15 minutes. This will kill the salmonella and render the eggs sterilized. Or, you could bombard them with gamma radiation (like ultra-violet and x-rays, but higher power).

Also, the salmonella resides on the outside of the shell. If the egg is washed judiciously, and the soft parts of the egg are not allowed to touch the outer shell, there is no risk. But if you can't find sterilized eggs, it's still better to do it yourself.

Seeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Back
Top Bottom