Caribbean Chicken Salad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dana H.

Assistant Cook
Caribbean Chicken Salad
(Courtesy of link removed as advertising is not allowed)

Ingredients:

1 can (10 ounce) chunk white chicken in water, thoroughly drained
1 can (8 ounce) pineapple chunks, thoroughly drained
1/2 cup drained, canned water chestnuts, quartered
1/3 cup sliced green onions
3 tablespoons mayonnaise
1 1/2 tablespoons minced gingeroot
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
Salt and pepper, to taste
2 papayas or 2 small melons, halved and seeded
Lime or lemon wedges

Preparation Time: Approximately 15 minutes

Preparation:

Toss the chicken, pineapple, water chestnuts, and green onions.

Mix the mayonnaise, ginger, lime juice, and salt and pepper. Toss with the chicken mixture.

Cut a thin slice from bottom of each fruit half to make a flat surface for plating; place halves on 4 serving plates. Mound the chicken salad in the fruit halves. Serve with lime or lemon wedges.

Servings: 4

Nutritional Information Per Serving: 340 calories; 12 g fat; 40 mg cholesterol; 350 mg sodium; 41 g carbohydrate; 6 g fiber; 17 g protein.

For this and additional recipes, visit link removed as advertising is not allowed.

Last edited by a moderator:
This looks and sounds really wonderful!
Can I pre-make this salad to serve later? If so, how long does it generally keep in your fridge?
Thanks so much Dana!

No I haven't tried it with Miracle Whip, but I'm sure you could. I'm not too much of a fan of Miracle Whip so I stick with the regular mayo. But feel free to experiment! :) I'm going to have to post this pizza recipe i found. It looks delicious.

Happy Cooking!

Dana

Last edited by a moderator:
Jkath,

In response to your question I asked our dietitan and she said:

"My suggestion here is to make the salad and serve it right away for the best quality. Fortunately it's very simple to prepare. For someone who wants to save time on the day of a meal, he or she might combine the chicken, waterchestnuts, pineapple and green onion in one bowl, and blend the mayonnaise dressing in another earlier in the day of the night ahead. Then store both in the refrigerator. To serve, they simply need to toss the two before serving over the papaya or melon. If there were leftovers, they could be held for a day or two in the refrigerator, properly covered, for safety. But for quality it would be best to use the salad right away."

Hope this helps

Dana

Back
Top Bottom