Celery root salad Rec.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kadesma

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
While I love and use celery stalks often, I'd never tried celery root. I'd see it in the store, but had no idea what to do with it or what it tasted like. Well, not to long ago, I made this salad and we loved it. The root has a pronounced celery flavor,has texture to it and is even good alone, or with dip..It would be great on a veggie tray or even used in a chicken or tuna salad instead of the stalks, no strings and yet easy to deal with after peeling.
Here is the salad..

1-c. walnut pieces, toasted
1- celery root about 6 oz. peeled and cut in thin strips, or med. dicel
2-granny smith apples, cored, then cut into thin strips, or med. dice
2-red delicious apples, cored or med. dice
24 leaves belgian endive if you want to make up individual salad plates, I just lined a bowl with the endive and put the dressed celery root,apples and walnuts in the center.

dressing:
1-c. sour cream
3/4-c.mayo
3/4-c.plain yogurt
juice of two lemons
1- tea. white truffle oil
salt to taste.
I just whisked together all the ingredients dressed the salad then lightly salted to taste ..
Serves 8

enjoy,
kadesma:)

What a great sounding salad!

I love celery root. One of my favorite ways to use it is to roast it with a little olive oil salt and pepper. I also like to add it to my mashed potatoes.

GB said:
What a great sounding salad!

I love celery root. One of my favorite ways to use it is to roast it with a little olive oil salt and pepper. I also like to add it to my mashed potatoes.
GB,
When you roast it do you leave it whole or cut it? And with the potatoes do you cook it along with the potatoes then mash? I like both ideas and want to give them a try.
Glad you like the salad idea:)

kadesma

I roast it with sweet potatoes. I cut both into bite size pieces and roast until the sweet potatoes get mushy.

For the mashed potatoes, I cook them all together and mash all at once.

I've never tried that, but must put it on my list. I've said that if I had my life to start over I would study horticulture and come up with a way to develop celery with no strings and onions with no little skins between the layers. Maybe a future generation will do that.

licia said:
I've never tried that, but must put it on my list. I've said that if I had my life to start over I would study horticulture and come up with a way to develop celery with no strings and onions with no little skins between the layers. Maybe a future generation will do that.
licia,
I've always loved celery and use it all the time. Now though I intend to use the root more often even in my chicken and tuna salads. It has a lot more flavor than the stalks do.

kadesma:)

Back
Top Bottom