"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Salads & Salad Dressings
Click Here to Login

Old 06-29-2018, 04:44 AM   #11
Sous Chef

The burghul should be prepared according to the instructions on the packet - not all bulghur is prepared as indicated in my recipe. I've already started my tabbouleh season here!

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

di reston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 01:26 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by di reston View Post
The burghul should be prepared according to the instructions on the packet - not all bulghur is prepared as indicated in my recipe. I've already started my tabbouleh season here!

di reston

Does that mean you use pre-cooked bulghur?

Old 07-02-2018, 02:44 PM   #13
Sous Chef

No, not at all - I buy bulghur that's ready to boil. Having said that, I have no idea what you can source in the States, and pre-cooked bulghur may be the best option, nothing wrong with it - very handy, to my mind. We do the best we can for what we have, and that's the way I see it! And if you like a little tweak here and a little tweak there, good for you!

di reston

Old 07-02-2018, 03:06 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
No, not at all - I buy bulghur that's ready to boil. Having said that, I have no idea what you can source in the States, and pre-cooked bulghur may be the best option, nothing wrong with it - very handy, to my mind. We do the best we can for what we have, and that's the way I see it! And if you like a little tweak here and a little tweak there, good for you!

di reston

Thank you. Actually, I have never seen pre-cooked bulghur here in Canada. Great to know that I can leave out the cooking step. It's one of the reasons I am often too lazy to make tabouleh.
Old 07-03-2018, 05:17 AM   #15
Sous Chef

Ever thought of wholegrain rice? You can get easy-cook versions, I'm sure!
Cheers

di reston

Old 07-03-2018, 05:29 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Ever thought of wholegrain rice? You can get easy-cook versions, I'm sure!
Cheers

di reston

I don't even bother looking for an easy cook version of unpolished rice. I wouldn't trust it. It's plenty easy to cook, but takes about 50 minutes. We usually cook up an extra large batch and put some in the freezer. I almost always have cooked, unpolished rice. But, I like bulghur in the tabouleh. I guess I'll just have to try soaking it instead of cooking it and see how it turns out.
Old 07-04-2018, 10:28 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
Kay asked me to post the recipe for this delicious and refreshing salad I recently made. It makes a lot, but keeps well in the fridge for several days. I'm on day 3 now, and it actually just gets better, IMO. A little on the sweet side due to the dates and golden raisins and the little bit of honey in the dressing, but not overly sweet. I might add a little more fresh lemon juice next time, though.

It was the first time I made it so I made it as written, except I subbed toasted pine nuts for the pistachios, since that's what I had on hand. I'll definitely make this again.

The quinoa soaks up all the other flavors nicely and keeps it's texture, but couscous or bulgur could probably be subbed if you're not a quinoa fan.

Moroccan Chickpea Quinoa Power Salad Recipe | Little Spice Jar
Heading back to LOW next week. This is on my list. I will use the lemon-mint vinegar I have and maple syrup, dried cherries and .maybe some fresh...I will post my version once I make it. I am have the Morrocan meatballs now burgers on my list made with ground lamb. I will be cooking for Mom and myself, so I can be more creative!

Tags
dressing, honey, lemon, oil, olive oil, quinoa, recipe, salad

Chickpea Quinoa Salad with Olive Oil, Lemon, and Honey Dressing Kay asked me to post the recipe for this delicious and refreshing salad I recently made. :chef: It makes a lot, but keeps well in the fridge for several days. I'm on day 3 now, and it actually just gets better, IMO. A little on the sweet side due to the dates and golden raisins and the little bit of honey in the dressing, but not overly sweet. I might add a little more fresh lemon juice next time, though. It was the first time I made it so I made it as written, except I subbed toasted pine nuts for the pistachios, since that's what I had on hand. I'll definitely make this again. :yum: The quinoa soaks up all the other flavors nicely and keeps it's texture, but couscous or bulgur could probably be subbed if you're not a quinoa fan. [URL="http://littlespicejar.com/moroccan-chickpea-quinoa-power-salad/"]Moroccan Chickpea Quinoa Power Salad Recipe | Little Spice Jar[/URL] 3 stars 1 reviews