Clone Sweet Onion Sauce (like the Sub Shops!)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

grumblebee

Contest Winner
My friend gave me this recipe to try out. I made it today and I must say that it is nearly identical to the Sweet Onion sauce that a very famous Sub Sandwich restaurant serves! (don't want to name names so no one gets in trouble... hehe)

Anyway, i thought I would share the recipe because it really is like the real thing and I know a lot of people that love that sauce:

1/2 cup light corn syrup
1 tbsp minced white onions
1 tbsp red wine vinegar
2 tsp white vinegar
1 tsp balsamic vinegar
1 tsp brown sugar
1 tsp buttermilk baking mix
1/4 tsp lemon juice
1/8 tsp poppy seeds
1/8 tsp salt
1 pinch cracked black pepper
1 pinch garlic powder

Stir all ingredients together in a microwave safe bowl and then heat on high for 1 1/2 - 2 minutes or until boiling/hot. Remove and then wisk well. Cool and then store in bottles in the fridge.

:chef:

grumblebee said:
My friend gave me this recipe to try out. I made it today and I must say that it is nearly identical to the Sweet Onion sauce that a very famous Sub Sandwich restaurant serves! (don't want to name names so no one gets in trouble... hehe)

Anyway, i thought I would share the recipe because it really is like the real thing and I know a lot of people that love that sauce:

1/2 cup light corn syrup
1 tbsp minced white onions
1 tbsp red wine vinegar
2 tsp white vinegar
1 tsp balsamic vinegar
1 tsp brown sugar
1 tsp buttermilk baking mix
1/4 tsp lemon juice
1/8 tsp poppy seeds
1/8 tsp salt
1 pinch cracked black pepper
1 pinch garlic powder

Stir all ingredients together in a microwave safe bowl and then heat on high for 1 1/2 - 2 minutes or until boiling/hot. Remove and then wisk well. Cool and then store in bottles in the fridge.

:chef:

Mmmmmm, I love sweet onion sauce! What's "buttermilk baking mix"? TIA and thanks for sharing this, I am c&p right now :)

Buttermilk baking mix is a mix like Bisquick or Jiffy Bicuit Mix. I used Bisquick. (sorry.. I should have specified in the recipe)

It seems odd to be a part of a sub/salad sauce recipe, but it's what helps make it thicker since this recipe is fat free. The heating thoroughly dissolves the mix though so you dont have to worry about weird flour lumps or anything. :rolleyes:

grumblebee said:
Buttermilk baking mix is a mix like Bisquick or Jiffy Bicuit Mix. I used Bisquick. (sorry.. I should have specified in the recipe)

It seems odd to be a part of a sub/salad sauce recipe, but it's what helps make it thicker since this recipe is fat free. The heating thoroughly dissolves the mix though so you dont have to worry about weird flour lumps or anything. :rolleyes:
Thank-you Grumblebee, now I get what you meant :) Failing that (might be hard to come by in Ireland) I wonder if I could get away with a pinch of arrowroot instead?

thickening agent

In place of the bisquick you could always trying making a roux. It's equal parts butter and flour. Mix it in a skillet until it starts to thicken over medium heat. Then add it to whatever you're making that you want to make thicker. It add's no flavor so it can be used in anything from soups, stews, dressings, marinades...the options are endless. It was one of the few things I learned in culinary arts that has stuck with me and I use all the time.

Back
Top Bottom