"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Salads & Salad Dressings

Old 05-05-2006, 03:14 PM   #11
Executive Chef

I'm back, lol.

Layered salads are very pretty served in clear trifle bowls.

Layer rows of whatever appeals to you and is colorful like...

Mixed greens, spinach
shrooms
tomatoes
Red Onions
Mandarin oranges
grated hard-boiled eggs
garbanzos

Mix it up with ingredients you like and add dressing of choice.

Old 05-05-2006, 03:26 PM   #12
Master Chef

In our home, we call this a "Sea-Breeze" Salad. It is delightfully refreshing, and adds a wonderful color among all of the pastas, potato dishes, etc.

Ingredients:
2 - 3oz pkg. lemon gelatin
1 - 3oz. pkg lime geletin
2 cups boiling water
2 cups ice water
1 cup drained crushed pineapple
15 oz. cottage cheese
2 cups whipped topping (like Cool-Whip).
1 cup chopped walnut pieces

Combine the gelatine in a large bowl and add the boiling water. Stir for at least 2 minutes until all the jello-powder is dissolved. Add the ice water. Chill in the fridge.

Place the remaining ingredients, except the nuts, into a blender and blend until smooth. When the gelatine is partially set, fold the blender mix and nuts in. Place into a pretty mold to completely chill the gelatin. Invert onto a plate and serve.

Seeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 08:07 PM   #13
Master Chef

I think this strawberry jello salad would be appropriate for the occasion.

2 packages strawberry jello
1 lg carton frozen strawberries
2-1/2 cups boiling water
1 small can crushed pineaple
1 cup bananas, mashed
1 small bowl Cool Whip

Dissolve gelatin in boiling water. Immediately add frozen strawberries, crushed pineapple and mashed bananas. Pour half of this mixture into a flat 8x12" dish or salad mold. Let partially set. Cover with a layer of Cool Whip; add remaining gelatin mixture. Refrigerate.

*Note: You may use real whipped cream or sour cream in place of the Cool Whip. I think a mixture of cream cheese and mayo would also be good.
Play with it...
Some recipes call for adding walnuts or pecans. I don't care for nuts in dishes like this, but if you do, go for it!
Old 05-06-2006, 09:17 AM   #14
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkath
Grumblebee has it - I think a cold pasta salad would go great!

I like the rotini spiral pasta, cooked/drained/chilled, with sliced black olives, quartered cherry tomatoes, green onion chops, jack cheese tiny cubes & zesty italian dressing to mix it all together.

Thank you all so much for your suggestions. They all sound wonderful but I'll stick with the cold pasta salad since there will be 50 plus guests and seems this will be easier, faster and cheaper to put together. I've tried the green gelatine dessert too and it's wonderful - might throw one of those in there. Mish, your ideas some delicious and I'll make sure to try them for my next party.
Old 05-06-2006, 09:40 PM   #15
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mish
Here's a quickie, pretty side/appy.

Tapenade Watermelon Canapes

50 seedless watermelon rectangles (Cut 1-1/4" wide x 3" long x 3/4" high)
1 qt tapenade
48 oz herbed goat cheese, crumbled - You could use feta, if you prefer)

Scoop a little watermelon out of the rectangles to fill them with the Tapenade.

On piece of waxed paper, place watermelon rectangles close together in tight rows. Spread tops of watermelon slices evenly with tapenade. Over tapenade, sprinkle goat cheese. Arrange canapes in rows, tightly next to each other on a silver or pretty serving tray. Makes about 50 Pieces
Mish, have you actually made this recipe? LOL! I can't even imagine the flavor, never mind the work in cutting out 50 rectangles of watermelon, scooping some of each out, then spreading them with a QUART of tapenade!

Is the taste worth the effort and expense?

Lee
Old 05-06-2006, 10:24 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by QSis
Mish, have you actually made this recipe? LOL! I can't even imagine the flavor, never mind the work in cutting out 50 rectangles of watermelon, scooping some of each out, then spreading them with a QUART of tapenade!

Is the taste worth the effort and expense?

Lee
Yes, I have. Yes it's good. Not 50 though. Dina needed to serve a bunch, so I remembered this one.

It's not that difficult when you consider you can cut thick round slices, & cut them in rectangles. Use a little melon baller, or just lay the toppings on top of the watermelon fingers.

Tapenade or pesto of choice works well - and you can use mozzarella or brie.

Ever had a watermelon salad, basil, mozz, balsamic, etc. -- very good.

Here's a stack of watermelon made with shrimp salad:

Or for a "simpler" dish - watermelon squares topped with brie and wrapped with prosciutto:
Old 05-08-2006, 07:54 AM   #17
Master Chef

I can see this working as watermellon and cucumber are very similar in flavor, watermellon of course being the sweeter of the two. Sometime, just for the sake of experience, peel and slice a cucumber and sprinkle some powdered sugar on it. Then close your eyes and take a bite. When I did it, I was simply amazed at how much the two tasted alike.

So, I could see the combinations working. There are some good ideas there.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None