"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Salads & Salad Dressings

Old 05-03-2006, 08:36 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
Cold dish ideas needed

We're throwing a baby shower next week for one of the teachers at work and I've been asked to bring a cold dish to serve 50 people. We're having chicken salad sandwiches, fruit and veggies trays, chips and dips but I'm clueless on what "COLD" dish would go well to compliment the rest of the food. Any suggestions? Thanks a million.

Old 05-03-2006, 09:12 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Dina, how about a rice or veggie torta, can be done ahead and served at room temp, or some sort of pasta seafood, or green salad. So far your menu looks great and you don't really need much more..
If I can help with any recipes or ideas for these, let me know.

kadesma

Old 05-03-2006, 09:18 PM   #3
Contest Winner

Cold pasta salad, marinated bean salad (I have a TNT recipe for this if you are interested), spinach dip w/ french bread, cream cheese pinwheels (different flavoured cream cheeses spread on tortillas, rolled up, then sliced into "pinwheels" with toothpicks in each)...

Were you wanting to make mostly finger foods or actual dishes?
Old 05-03-2006, 09:24 PM   #4
Hospitality Queen

Grumblebee has it - I think a cold pasta salad would go great!

I like the rotini spiral pasta, cooked/drained/chilled, with sliced black olives, quartered cherry tomatoes, green onion chops, jack cheese tiny cubes & zesty italian dressing to mix it all together.
Old 05-03-2006, 09:25 PM   #5
Contest Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkath
Grumblebee has it - I think a cold pasta salad would go great!

I like the rotini spiral pasta, cooked/drained/chilled, with sliced black olives, quartered cherry tomatoes, green onion chops, jack cheese tiny cubes & zesty italian dressing to mix it all together.
Yeah.. that is the exact kind of pasta salad I was meaning. It's such a classic "potluck" item but its something that most everybody likes. I like a bit of bell peppers in mine in addition to what you listed though.
Old 05-03-2006, 09:35 PM   #6
Hospitality Queen

ooooooooooh! Great addition - do you know how pretty that would look with all different colors of peppers?!
Old 05-04-2006, 11:42 AM   #7
Master Chef

How about a nice potato salad recipe? I posted a Sour Cream/Blue Cheese one on another thread that's always been very popular.
Old 05-05-2006, 02:31 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Cole Slaw, potato, macaroni, pasta, bean, beet or ambrosia salads. I posted a few potato salad recipes in Debbie's thread. I might stay away from any bread dishes, since you're serving sandwiches as the main event. Here's a quickie, pretty side/appy.

Tapenade Watermelon Canapes

50 seedless watermelon rectangles (Cut 1-1/4" wide x 3" long x 3/4" high)
1 qt tapenade
48 oz herbed goat cheese, crumbled - You could use feta, if you prefer)

Scoop a little watermelon out of the rectangles to fill them with the Tapenade.

On piece of waxed paper, place watermelon rectangles close together in tight rows. Spread tops of watermelon slices evenly with tapenade. Over tapenade, sprinkle goat cheese. Arrange canapes in rows, tightly next to each other on a silver or pretty serving tray. Makes about 50 Pieces
Old 05-05-2006, 02:48 PM   #9
Executive Chef

You might like this recipe for Watermelon Crab Cups I posted in:

Simple Sides for Summer

Or

Coffee Granita served in martooni glasses. Think I still have the recipe, if you like.

Pudding parfaits - mixed with fresh berries, whipped cream. Party stores carry disposable glasses/cups.

Mini trifles (in disposable cups) made w storebought pound cake or angel food cake.

Angel Lush - http://www.kraftfoods.com/main.aspx?...ecipe_id=51103

Watergate (remember that, lol) Salad

Along the line of cold pasta salads, my fave is an agnolitti (sp) (you could use cheese ravioli instead), peas, fresh basil, chunks of mozzarella, diced tomatoes & a vinaigrette dressing.

Cold Tortelinni salad.
Old 05-05-2006, 02:54 PM   #10
Assistant Cook

Cold To Go

Jkath,

I just recently made this spiral pasta dish for a shelter and it was a hit with the guests. I added chicken and did 1 thing differently this time. I put the bottle of Italian dressing in the food processor with a can of stewed tomatoes to puree it. Added that to the (then) warm pasta and chicken to absorb the liquid. Then I added the rest of the ingredients. Out of the 5 different presentations of basically the same thing, mine was the favorite. Unfortunately, I did not get to taste it to give a valid opinion. It's a good concept for a cold dish, though.

I think that all of the suggestions were very good. You would not go wrong by preparing any of these.

Hope you have a wonderful time with your group!

Tags
None