Cold spiced tomatoes-rec.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kadesma

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
Sometimes my family will ask for just plain cheese enchilladas. When they do, we usually make this spiced tomatoe salad. It goes well with beef or lamb, as well.

1-1/2-c. olive oil
1-c. either white wine vinegar or rice vinegar
1/4-c. sugar
2-cloves garlic, minced or crushed
8-oz. green chili salsa
1/2-tea. oregano
1/4-tea. celery seed
salt to taste
pepper to taste
6-8 green onions, use both top and bottom and slice thin
1/2-c. celery,slice thin or chop if you prefer
4-small unpeeled tomatoes, core and chop
4-oz. of diced green chiles
6- med tomatoes unpeeled, core and cut into wedges
lettuce leaves I like to use butter lettuce leaves, but romaine or iceberg would do as well.
12-16 anchovie fillets (optional)
1/4-c. chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
Blend the oli, vinegar,sugar,garlic,slasa,oregano,celery seed,salt and pepper.In med bowl combine the green onions,celery, small tomatoes, and green chilies then mix the above two together for a marinade.Cover and keep cold ...
2 hrs before serving add the tomatoe wedges to the marinade and mix well, cover and keep cold. To serve place lettuce leaves on individual plates or one big platter and using a slotted spoon put the tomatoe mixture on plates or platter, put some of the marinade over all it's your dressing,and top with crisscrossed anchovie fillets and sprinkle with the chopped parsley.
This is one time I like my tomatoes COLD:LOL: If anchovies aren't your thing just leave them off..
enjoy,
kadesma:)

Have you ever thought about writing a cook book?
I bet it'd be a best seller!!

pdswife said:
Have you ever thought about writing a cook book?
I bet it'd be a best seller!!

Pds, thank you for the compliment,but I'd rather cook then write..I do make recipe cards for the girls,but a cookbook..No, it's not me, I'd make ya all dizzy...

kadesma:LOL:

That's too bad... but boy your girls are lucky to have you!!

Wish my mom could cook!!

My mom wasn't a very good cook at all, but, boy could she bake:) After they moved here near us, and she came for dinner on sundays, she would just shake her head and ask me how did you do that when did you get interested in cooking. I'd just tell her I have always loved being in the kitchen..I suppose my dad's sister influenced me the most..She adored the San Francisco restaurants and trying all kinds of foods..And she was forever dragging me along much to my delight:LOL:
kadesma

They were Pds,
the Fishermans wharf,for scallops,chippino,clams,sole yum,Fleur De Lys, the Cliff Hotel,Fairmont Hotel,Ernies, Doro's, and so many more, as a kid I was all eyes..But one of my favorite places was in a little foothills town called Jackson, we'd go there with a friend and her parents and sisiter and kids. And always on sundays..It was like an Italian boarding house on sunday, you sat at a long table, and as soon as you sat out came a large bowl of minestrone,Italian bread and butter, next came the salad, ice cold, with tomato, carrot,and a garlicky creamy vinegrette, next was a large platter of salami,spinach fritatta,garbanzo beans, carrots, celery, cheese, green onions, foccacia, bread and butter pickles,peppers, black olives, copa, then came two large bowls one filled with ravioli and meat sauce one with linguine and meat sauce and a platter of roast beef with heavenly gravey, then the thing we all were waiting for, crispy fried chicken and hand cut hot as hades french fries well salted and perfect...drinks were put on the table in pitchers, icy water, wine red and white,milk and lemoneade and coffee, dessert was 2 scoops of spumoni ice cream and a sugar cookie each...
We would all leave there stuffed and happy with goodie bags per family . I think this influenced me almost more than anything. There was always a wonderful meal, it was sunday, we were family and no-one was ever hungry..I still make to much food but, rather to much than anyone walk away hungry..Here everyone gets anything left over that they would like.:LOL:
kadesma

Kadesma, I wish you'd consider the cookbook. I, for one, would buy 4 copies... one each for me and my kids.
In the meantime, I guess I'll just content myself with saving your recipes and passing them on.

I would certainly buy a few. It would probably be better than me moving next door to you. My mouth waters each time I read one of your recipes.

Constance said:
Kadesma, I wish you'd consider the cookbook. I, for one, would buy 4 copies... one each for me and my kids.
In the meantime, I guess I'll just content myself with saving your recipes and passing them on.
Connie, that is so nice of you. But taking care of the 4 kids, and a DH who is now retired and follows me around much of the time, I just can't see time and a quiet place to even think about a book let alone sit still long enough to type up recipes and everything else..I don't know maybe one day, but who knows? Thanks though.:)

kadesma

licia said:
I would certainly buy a few. It would probably be better than me moving next door to you. My mouth waters each time I read one of your recipes.
Now licia,
I'd much rather have you next door:) We would have so much fun..And thank you, all of you make me feel so special.

kadesma:)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom