Cole Slaw Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

giggler

Sous Chef
Our Friend Cheif Longwing used this line in a BBQ recipie.

These ribs need a juicy slaw better than a cremy slaw, to cleans the pallat.

This intreages me quit a bit.

What is the diff. between Juicy Slaw and Creamy exackly?

Also , I will add that here in central Texas, we eat a Lot of BBQ.

and often the side dishes like potato salad and cole slaw can divide whole groups of people on which place to eat!

Eric, Austin Tx.

To me, one is a vinegar based slaw (juicy) and the other is a mayo slaw(sour cream, dairy). I'm a fan of the vinegar based, especially with BBQ pork. I also can't stand sweet cole slaw no matter the base.

I make 3 types of coleslaw:

1) The typical mayo based creamy slaw - which DD #1 and I really don't like much. But DD #2 and hub do.

2) A Vinaigrette dressing with lots of seasoning. Which DD #1 and I really like.

3) A Vinaigrette dressing with a small amount of mayo added. We all like this one.

None of them have sugar added.

To me, one is a vinegar based slaw (juicy) and the other is a mayo slaw(sour cream, dairy). I'm a fan of the vinegar based, especially with BBQ pork. I also can't stand sweet cole slaw no matter the base.

I agree. I seldom eat cole slaw in restos because it's usually sweet or at least sweeter than I like (while other people are saying it's hardly sweet at all).

I don't mind a good creamy cole slaw and have to make it that way sometimes because DH prefers that. But, I prefer with a good vinegar based dressing. Heck, I have made single servings of cole slaw from some freshly shredded cabbage, salt & pepper, EVOO, & vinegar and just stir it together on my plate.

I agree. I seldom eat cole slaw in restos because it's usually sweet or at least sweeter than I like (while other people are saying it's hardly sweet at all).

I don't mind a good creamy cole slaw and have to make it that way sometimes because DH prefers that. But, I prefer with a good vinegar based dressing. Heck, I have made single servings of cole slaw from some freshly shredded cabbage, salt & pepper, EVOO, & vinegar and just stir it together on my plate.
I've done that also with red and green cabbage. Restaurant coleslaw is swimming in sweet watery mayo.

My favorite slaw is very juicy, to the point where you could drain off liquid from the bottom. I shred a head of green cabbage, along with two large carrots, and one yellow or white onion. It must be grated to make the pieces small enough for thisto work. I add Miracle Whip, 1 tbs. sugar, and stir, making sure that there is enough salad dressing to coat the mix. Add 1/2 cup ice water and refrigerate for 2 to 3 hours to let the flavors combine This slaw tastes nearly identicle to KFC cole slaw, but is much easier to make. It really almost quentes the thirst with eah bite, and doesn't leave a fatry aftertaste. You can add chopped appel, raiseins, and or nuts if you so desire. But that's just how I like it.

To me, creamy means thicker viscosity with a silky feeling, like cream, left in yur mouth after eating it. I love many foods creamy, but not my cole slaw.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I would never eat cole slaw in a restaurant, since I will not eat anything with mayo in it, and I don't know what they make it with. Vinaigrette based are good, but my favorite that I have ever made is Asian based, with lime juice for the acid, and 10 or 11 ingredients in the dressing alone! The original recipe was napa based, but I have made it with green and red cabbage, as well as other greens shredded up, as well, along with some carrots, bell peppers, cilantro, and chives or scallions. It also has crushed roasted peanuts and toasted sesame seeds, plus some sesame oil, to give that nutty flavor.

Back
Top Bottom