Coleslaw

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I wish bagged slaw at the supermarkets wasn't cut so coarse. Seriously, some of those slaw pieces are wedges. I've a standard blender is all. Not sure if that would work. My press down onion chopper would take too long. I don't feel like doing it by hand tho.

And that is why I prefer to cut my own cabbage. It is not that hard to do. But then I have a FP with two blades for the cabbage. I use the small cut blade. And I remove the core completely.

I usually use about 1/3 of a head of cabbage, which is good for 4 - 6 servings. Cabbage keeps for quite a while, and I just shave off the discolored bit where it was cut. I cut the cabbage with a knife, it's not even worth getting out the mandoline.

In addition to the cabbage, I'll add a julienned carrot (a julienne peeler works great for this), possibly chives or scallions if I have them. We're not fans of mayo cole slaw, so I use a sweet herb vinaigrette dressing.

2 Tbsp. olive oil
2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar (or rice vinegar)
2 - 3 Tbsp. honey
1 Tbsp. herbs (herbs de Provence, etc.)
a few grinds of pepper and a bit of salt

I like pretty much any coleslaw dressing that isn't sweet. If I'm making coleslaw for four people or less, I just use a chef's knife to shave off bits of the cabbage. Like tenspeed, I just cut off the discoloured bit of the cabbage I did this too previously.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom