"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Salads & Salad Dressings

Old 10-29-2013, 09:16 PM   #11
Master Chef

I have a question about cole slaw, Kades. I threw out some really tasty cole slaw...the vinegary kind...the other day because it had been in the fridge for a week. It seems to me, though, that there's really nothing to spoil. I'm thinking it just might pickle, or ferment a bit. What are you thoughts on this?

Old 10-29-2013, 09:22 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance View Post
I have a question about cole slaw, Kades. I threw out some really tasty cole slaw...the vinegary kind...the other day because it had been in the fridge for a week. It seems to me, though, that there's really nothing to spoil. I'm thinking it just might pickle, or ferment a bit. What are you thoughts on this?
I've never really pickled anything Connie so I won't be of much help it seems to me that it just might pickle and not spoil . Let's see if anyone else can help us out.
kades

Old 10-29-2013, 10:46 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance View Post
It will keep for a long time, both cabbage and vinegar will last a very long time separately, together, almost forever! (Well, a few weeks anyway) Maybe you can save it.....
Old 10-30-2013, 01:17 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Sounds like another winner Kadesma.

I love using Napa cabbage for cole slaw. I prefer slicing the cabbage by hand and napa cabbage really slices nicely. The wrinkles help and so does the shape.
Old 10-30-2013, 06:25 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

What I have always like about Napa cabbage is that it is a smaller cabbage and when used you don't have enough for an army. Whether it be for cole slaw or a boiled dinner. The darker richer green of the leaves is more attractive.
Old 10-30-2013, 08:22 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Sounds like another winner Kadesma.

I love using Napa cabbage for cole slaw. I prefer slicing the cabbage by hand and napa cabbage really slices nicely. The wrinkles help and so does the shape.
I like Nappa cabbage best of them all. It's so tasty and easier to cut. Glad you like the recipe.
kades
Old 10-31-2013, 08:30 AM   #17
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
Is napa cabbage the wrinkly one?
Napa cabbage has the elongated heads. Savoy is the wrinkly one. Although, technically speaking, they all have some wrinkles.

Napa:

Savoy:

Old 10-31-2013, 12:05 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

I use regular cabbage for Kimchee because we don't grow Savoy. I must say that when I have bought cabbage at the store, it is much tougher than the cabbage we get from the garden. The garden cabbage is also sweeter than store-bought cabbage.
Old 10-31-2013, 04:35 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
I use regular cabbage for Kimchee because we don't grow Savoy. I must say that when I have bought cabbage at the store, it is much tougher than the cabbage we get from the garden. The garden cabbage is also sweeter than store-bought cabbage.
How right you are. Cabbage we grow ourselves is so much more tender and sweet. I know we must shop for things but growing as much as we can sure helps and it does spoil us
kades
Old 10-31-2013, 04:43 PM   #20
Executive Chef

I have difficulty getting regular cabbage sliced thin enough for me to eat 2ndary to a teeth issue. I was happy to find pre-cut "angel hair" at the store, something that they don't always carry. Now, I could get out the mandoline, but that would be too easy. I have to try Napa cabbage and see if I can get it to slice the way that works best for me. Or is it savoy I should buy> I'm confused. I just woke up from a siesta.

Tags
None