Company Picnic Bean Salad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Katie H

Site Moderator
Staff member
I live in the Heartland of the United States
Wow, luckytrim! You just solved my problem with what to have with the soy-glazed country ribs I have cooking in the crock-pot.

I printed this recipe off and finished making a half-sized batch a few minutes ago. I didn't have any peas but did have everything else. OMIGOSH, it's delicious now. I can't imagine how much better it will be after sitting in the refrigerator for several hours. Yummy, delicious. Thanks.

I'm glad you are enjoying it...............I know; I can't stay out of it for four hours either.:-p
I like it a little better with the wine vinegar, tho'

That sounds fantastic! It's also made with things I usually have on hand.

I've never tried this, but I wonder if frozen chopped peppers would work? My garden peppers have failed the last couple of years, due to bad weather, and the red and yellow premium peppers are quite expensive when bought at the supermarket, so I slice and freeze any I don't use up. They're fine for cooking, but I don't know how they'd be in a salad like this.

Just had a thought. Yes, Buck would be rolling his eyes by now.:LOL:

In any case, I didn't have any frozen peas and thinking about it I feel they may be too "sweet" for this dish. I think drained black beans would be a good substitution. Unfortunately, I don't have any so can't experiment. Oh, well, next time.

You know you have a winning recipe when everyone wants to change it.

Me, I would add some diced kielbasa, and maybe hold the peas and corn.

Thanks for posting, it sounds great.

We had this for our evening meal a little bit ago. GREAT! Every ingredient was fantastic. Tasty. The red pepper flakes set your tongue afire. Yum.

It would be great with some ground/shredded meat and added to tortillas with some cheese for a Mexi take.

Thanks. I'm going to keep this in mind. I might make it for some of the cookouts I go to during the summer.

I can't wait to try this! I'm like you lucky. If I post a recipe I would REALLY like someone to try it as it is written. Sure, any recipe can be changed, but then it's not the recipe I posted :rolleyes: Like my "sort of marasala chicken" - if you take away the marsala and use wine, and then use a different cheese, and not pound out the chicken, and not use the mushrooms.....well, it's not my "sort of marsala chicken" anymore - it's a totally different chicken dish that still may be good. :chef:

And my mother's macaroni salad - if you change it she will haunt you - promise! :ohmy:

If we have a July 4th party I will make this for sure! I have a different bean salad (can be found if you google Cheesy Spoon Bread) - it's in the same post as the cheesy spoon bread I think. Oh wait - Here is the recipe. This recipe is the same way - you MUST let it set in fridge for 2 hours for the zesty Italian to "tone down".

Last edited:
The salad was/is still good. We had more of it for lunch and it tastes even better after marinating overnight. It has just the right amount and blance of vinegar. It was perfect with our pork ribs last night.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom