CWS' Cucumber Tomato Salad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CWS4322

Chef Extraordinaire
Because there are cucumbers, tomatoes, and herbs in the garden, I whipped this up as a salad today:

1 large Eng. cucumber, seeded and cubed
2 large tomatoes, seeded and cubed
1 oz feta cheese, crumbled
Juice of 1/2 lemon
zest of 1/2 lemon
about 2 T each of chopped It. parsley, Greek oregano, basil, mint (a litte less mint than the other herbs), cilantro
about 2 T of chopped green onion tops
1 LARGE clove garlic, minced
Sea salt and ground black pepper to taste
About 2 T EVOO
About 1 T of white wine vinegar

Tossed everything together, let it sit about 30 minutes at room temperature. Serve on fresh-from-the garden leaf lettuce (or eat it just out of the bowl). Greek black olives are a nice touch as well as a splash of caper juice.

I might try this with our tuna tonight. I will have to change the feta to goat cheese, but that shouldn't make too much difference - we do it all the time!

Thanks CWS!

Have the tomatoes, need the cukes...I'll leave out the feta, have some Mozz sticks I can cut up. Thanks, CWS!

I made a variation of this tonight. In addition to the tomatoes and cukes, I had 1/2 of a kohlrabi to use up, 1/2 green pepper, some black beans, rice of the prairies (cavena nuda--love that stuff), leftover corn-on-the-cob, and blue cheese. To top it off, I added some of those frozen chopped hard cooked eggs (thanks, PF), some nutritional yeast, cashews, pepitos, and some dried cranberries. Got my fiber, fruit, veggies, protein, and grains all in one bowl, oh and some dairy with the blue cheese. As an after thought, tomorrow's lunch will be this with some chopped baby Swiss Chard added.

I am lazy. I just chunk up tomatoes, green pepper, cucumbers and throw them in a good balsamic vinegrette dressing. I add fresh basil and oregano when I have it. Best if it sits a few hours in the fridge. I keep it simple and basic. Picky hubby even eats it (he picks out the peppers).

Back
Top Bottom