Dandelion salad--TNT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was just out in the yard. I picked a handful of dandelion greens--my first time.
After washing and draining them. I tasted some.....I thought, wow this is nice, not bitter at all. THEN all of a sudden, some bitter came through. It's not like spinach at all, more like tonic water (which I like) bitter. But you know, it wasn't really bad, it only lasted a moment. I will be trying some in a salad now this next week.

I was just out in the yard. I picked a handful of dandelion greens--my first time.
After washing and draining them. I tasted some.....I thought, wow this is nice, not bitter at all. THEN all of a sudden, some bitter came through. It's not like spinach at all, more like tonic water (which I like) bitter. But you know, it wasn't really bad, it only lasted a moment. I will be trying some in a salad now this next week.
That's great. I'm sure you'll find them rather good with hard cooked eggs, sweet onion and a good evoo and red wine vinegar. Thanks again
kadesma:)

I have a huge LAWN of dandelions (created by dumping big plastic bags of the parachute seeds) and have a very large bowl (eg the IKEA big stainless steel bowl) almost every day from April thru October. Second and third crops come in. Younger leaves are better but if larger can be easily sliced thinner. But I'm letting other things like thistles and nettles grow - and the dandelions often have to get quite large to get the sun - they stay 'tender.'

I coat with evoo first so vinegar doesn't seep thru - add salt, ground pepper and some mixed herb powder I make - and often have cubes of feta if I want to make a meal of the salad. BUT - I do add a bit of SUGAR as it cuts some bitterness - but the bitterness is addictive - just as it is with radicchio/chicory.

Amazed how something so fresh and tasty can be so free and easily available! (and HEALTHY!)

Back
Top Bottom