"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Salads & Salad Dressings
Old 11-08-2012, 08:23 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by taxlady
I think the reason that dry herbs are considered stronger is because they crumble and pack down into a smaller volume than the fresh ones. One tablespoon of a fresh herb will dry to about 1 teaspoon.
Actually, it's because the moisture has been evaporated from the herbs, leaving a more concentrated flavor as well as a smaller volume.

The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:50 PM   #12
Sous Chef
I love dill, fresh or dry. It has such a nice flavor. Great in salads, dressings, dips, breads, and my favorite Roasted Red Potatoes w/Dillweed :>)

Chef Maloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:16 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Actually, it's because the moisture has been evaporated from the herbs, leaving a more concentrated flavor as well as a smaller volume.
Well, it might be more concentrated, but I'm sure some of the flavour and odour evaporate too. I'm sure how much deponds on which herb.

May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote

dill, dressing, recipe

Dill Dressing TNT This is good as is over baked potatoes, salads or put in a hollowed out french round mixed into shrimp seafood dip. ask me about the seafood dip, it's spinach, water chestnuts.cottage cheese crab or shrimp. any who here is the dill dressing. 2 cups yogurt, 3 Tab. mayo, 1 Tab.milk, 1 tab. chopped green onion,, ! tab. dry dill weed, 1/8 tea. celery seed, 1/8 tea. onion powder or more if you like, 1/2 Tab/ fresh chopped parsley. Mix yogurt,mayo, and milk til blended. Store remaining goodies in refrigerator.will make 2 cups. remember that seafood mixture to go with this and the round of french bread. kades 3 stars 1 reviews