Do you wash pre-prepared salad greens?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't buy them often, but this past spring, I found a bag of baby mixed greens at Sam's that was delicious. It had bits of spinach, arugula, and all sorts of frilly, delightfully colored things in it that one could not find separately (around here, at least).

If you ever wash them once, you will see that they DO need to be washed. I rinse mine a couple of hours before the meal, spin them dry and put them in a plastic bag with paper towels. They are wonderful by meal time. I also pick out the core of the romaine, radicchio, etc. I don't like those parts in my salad. I buy many different types, but like the mixes to add to whatever greens are on hand if I have to make a lot of salad. But, I almost never make the exact same salad twice. It is always a surprise to all of us. One thing I really like are the new flavored cheeses by Sargento (I think). They make even a plain salad taste special.

ALWAYS!!! like licia says...i wash them, then they go into my XO spinner, then into a zip lock bag in the fridge.

makes a HUGE difference in the taste. plus i also wash all my veggies with soap and rinse througly.

I ALWAYS wash mine.

Though they say they are washed, you never know if that's true or how it wash done.

I have found lots of yuckky stuff in the water from bagged greens. Including bugs.

But "washing" (which is just rinsing) isn't going to do anything about bacteria. You would need to use antibacterial soap or, as my friend Caine has pointed out autoclave it to kill bacteria.

I buy bagged arugula and cress and, in a pinch, badgged romaine or other lettuce. I have found it to be perfectly fine.

Last edited:
I don't buy them often except for romaine, I just can't handle the smell when I open the bag..If I do buy them I always wash them and let them get air so the smell somewhat goes away, I have left salads when we eat out if I smell that smell...Wonder what the heck it is???:LOL:

kadesma

Back
Top Bottom