"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Salads & Salad Dressings

Old 12-13-2006, 02:51 PM   #11
Master Chef

Actually AuntDot - the contamination so far has been traced to contaminated water supplies in the fields - i.e. from contaminated animal feces that have infiltrated the water supply used to irrigate the crops.

I say - once AGAIN - you cannot WASH off the contamination. If the greens are contaminated, unless you COOK them, you are at risk.

I continue to eat fresh greens, once my garden greens are killed by frost, & take my chances - but for those of you at risk (young, old, immune-compromised), DON'T do it.

Old 12-13-2006, 03:14 PM   #12
Everymom

OK, this is one of those "hot button" issues for people. Its sort of like the defrosting the chicken on the counter thing. Lots of folks do it and are fine with it. It makes others want to pull out their hair when they read about people doing that. Many people are worried about the E Coli scares lately, many are not.

So, my point is, read this entire thread! There is good information here and you can make your own decisions from there.

Old 12-13-2006, 03:57 PM   #13
Master Chef

You're right Alix - this is always going to be a "agree to disagree" issue.

But I'd still sort of advise that everyone "agree to disagree" so long as it doesn't involve young children, elderly folks, or anyone in any way immune compromised.

The rest of us are free to take our chances such as they are - lol!!!!
Old 12-13-2006, 04:54 PM   #14
Everymom

LMAO! OK, where's my head shaking smiley? I'll settle for...
Old 12-13-2006, 04:59 PM   #15
Master Chef

On CNN this morning they said that now they think it might have been yellow or white onions and not scallions that were the source of the problem.

That's worse, IMO. If true.
Old 12-13-2006, 05:34 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Unfortunately, even fruit, especially melons can be contaminated with e.coli. It's strongly suggested that melons be washed before cutting the skin off.

Anyway....

Eating fresh vegetables is going to become one of those 'should I or shouldn't I?' sort of things. Personally, I prefer loose vegetables to prebagged ones. No guarantee it's any safer, but still, I prefer it. Organic might be the way to go, but again, no guarantee.

I do believe that with all these recent outbreaks, the FDA is going to introduce some extremely strict guidelines for every thing from planting the seeds to the temperatures of the trucks that deliver it. It could effect the cost of fresh produce. It's unfortunate, because years were spent marketing fresh fruit and vegetables and now frozen is flying off the shelves.

Keep your own body in mind. Know what you feel and if anything changes. If you have immune deficiency, perhaps you should avoid fresh produce. On the other hand, when you consider all the acres of farms producing fresh vegetables, it's amazing that there are not more cases of contaminations.

Wash, cook, and hope for the best.
Old 12-13-2006, 06:10 PM   #17
Master Chef

Okay - latest news flash tonight is that they've "supposedly" traced this latest e-coli outbreak at Taco Bell restaurants not to onions, but to lettuce - the fresh shredded lettuce they add to nearly everything on their menu.
Old 12-13-2006, 06:43 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Right on AuntDot..!!!!

Not to make light of a somewhat serious situation...What would really be news worthy is someone eating at Taco Bell and NOT getting sick!
Old 12-13-2006, 07:06 PM   #19
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to JDP
When the first outbreaks of e-coli and spinache came out it was only on the bagged products. I believe this is from a few contaminated plats that were combined with good spinache. In my area all the bagged product was pulled off the shelf but you could still buy spinache in bunches. It would be the same with Taco Bell's pecut lettuce. It's also my understanding that e-coli is an aerobic bacteria that lives on the surface and that is why ground beef becomes a problem and not steaks so I don't know if it could actually live inside a plant that absorbs tainted water. Let me know if it can.

Bottom line for me I would take my chances and eat the salad.

JDP
Old 12-13-2006, 07:08 PM   #20
Master Chef

Yeah. Taco Bell shouldn't be anyone's first choice for dining out - lol!!

That said, however, I do admit that once in a while I do drive thru & pick up a couple of their "old-time regular" tacos. For me it's a "blast from the past" when, growing up back in NY, a Jack-In-The-Box taco was serious "night after" savior food - lol!!!!

Tags
None