"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Salads & Salad Dressings

Old 07-06-2014, 11:58 AM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Okay, today I made this:

1/2 head purple cabbage
1 head Napa cabbage
1 small head green cabbage
2 carrots
2 apples
1 cucumber
1/2 knob ginger
3 shallots
dried cherries
roasted walnuts
cider vinegar
EVOO
light sesame seed oil
soy sauce
key lime juice
No mayo--this is an oil and vinegar slaw
Yes, S&P to taste
Everything is to taste--depends on how much cabbage you have. I didn't weigh the cabbage, or the apple, cucumber, carrot, shallot. I have to stop eating it...

Where does the "Murphy" come from? The inspiration lets me play with this. Yum.

Old 07-06-2014, 12:25 PM   #12
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Okay, today I made this:

1/2 head purple cabbage
1 head Napa cabbage
1 small head green cabbage
2 carrots
2 apples
1 cucumber
1/2 knob ginger
3 shallots
dried cherries
roasted walnuts
cider vinegar
EVOO
light sesame seed oil
soy sauce
key lime juice
No mayo--this is an oil and vinegar slaw
Yes, S&P to taste
Everything is to taste--depends on how much cabbage you have. I didn't weigh the cabbage, or the apple, cucumber, carrot, shallot. I have to stop eating it...

Where does the "Murphy" come from? The inspiration lets me play with this. Yum.
Looks good, I'll be trying this combo...love slaw.

Murphy's Law...Murphy Slaw...

Old 07-06-2014, 01:26 PM   #13
Senior Cook

Both of these recipes look scrumptious. I'm also a cole slaw/cabbage lover. I love the sweet/tart flavor of the added fruit. On the first recipe it calls for a tsp of celery seed. That seems like a lot. Perhaps it is just me who finds the taste of celery seed objectionable.

I also like my cabbage very finely chopped (ala Chick-Fil-A) style. Is there an easier and less messy way to achieve that texture I prefer? I usually cross-chop the cabbage which scatters cabbage bits all over the kitchen. Must be a better way without buying some sort of fancy-wancy kitchen appliance.
Old 07-06-2014, 04:13 PM   #14
Master Chef

That sounds delicious, princess. I love the idea of the addition of dried cranberries and walnuts.
Old 07-06-2014, 05:14 PM   #15
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiklitmanfan View Post
Both of these recipes look scrumptious. I'm also a cole slaw/cabbage lover. I love the sweet/tart flavor of the added fruit. On the first recipe it calls for a tsp of celery seed. That seems like a lot. Perhaps it is just me who finds the taste of celery seed objectionable.

I also like my cabbage very finely chopped (ala Chick-Fil-A) style. Is there an easier and less messy way to achieve that texture I prefer? I usually cross-chop the cabbage which scatters cabbage bits all over the kitchen. Must be a better way without buying some sort of fancy-wancy kitchen appliance.
As with all my recipes, feel free to reduce, increase or omit any ingredient. I just report what I used.

A box grater could give you the right chop or even a food processor. Since I have never been to a Chik-Fil-A I am unaware of how fine their cabbage is. Shrek pulverizes his once I am done making most food, so texture is a personal thing, too.
Old 07-06-2014, 05:15 PM   #16
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
That sounds delicious, princess. I love the idea of the addition of dried cranberries and walnuts.
I hope you try it, it is really good. Since I have such a craving for raw cabbage lately, I've been trying different things.
Old 07-07-2014, 12:01 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiklitmanfan View Post

I have the grating attachment for my FP. I send small quarters of the cabbage through the chute, then change blades to the cutting blade. I pulse it for just a couple of times, as you don't want to make mush. So much quicker and cleaner.
Old 07-07-2014, 04:17 AM   #18
Certified Cake Maniac

PF, I have a cabbage in the garden ready to be harvested. I will make this Monday for sure!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 10:51 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Looks good, I'll be trying this combo...love slaw.

Murphy's Law...Murphy Slaw...
Ahh--that makes sense. I liked the dash of sesame seed oil since I was kinda going Asian. Forgot to mention that I added chopped fresh Thai basil right before serving.

For those who don't like celery seed, I sometimes use poppy seed in my slaw.
Old 07-07-2014, 11:18 AM   #20
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Ahh--that makes sense. I liked the dash of sesame seed oil since I was kinda going Asian. Forgot to mention that I added chopped fresh Thai basil right before serving.

For those who don't like celery seed, I sometimes use poppy seed in my slaw.
I was challenged at the time to create a recipe that would be under Murphy's Law...I got the recipe and a pun out of it...doubly good.

Tags
apples, asian pears, cabbage, recipe

Fiona's Murphy Slaw Fiona's Murphy Slaw [B]Salad:[/B] 1 head green cabbage, fine shredded 1/2 head red cabbage, fine shredded 1 bunch green onions, sliced 1 large carrot, fine shredded 2 Fuji Apples, julienned 2 Asian Pears, julienned 1 cup dried cranberries 1/2 cup pecan pieces [B]Dressing:[/B] 1 cup Mayonnaise 1 tsp salt 1 tsp celery seed 1 cup cider vinegar OOPS! 1/4 cup Spicy brown Mustard Whisk all in bowl and pour over salad...but I messed up...I grabbed the squeeze bottle of Spicy Brown Mustard instead of the Mayo and got about a quarter cup in there before I realized my mistake. It's delish! 3 stars 1 reviews