"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Salads & Salad Dressings

Old 05-25-2006, 01:37 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcyMist
Yep light is more than enough. I use to put salt on all my fruit when I was a kid because my mother told us a story about how she would go out in the woods of Tennessee and take her salt shaker with her. There were crab apple trees, green apples, other types of fruit and berries and she would sit, sprinkle salt and munch away. :) Only thing she hates now is thinking about all the extra wiggly protein she probably ate with the wild berries she picked. :)

I no longer salt my fruit, except when I decide to eat a lemon I love salt on that still.
I've never eaten a lemon, as brave as I've gotten is lemonade I do salt melons, it seems to make the flavor more intense. My dad taught me about salting fruits, funny thing is he almost never salted his veggies or meat! Things we learn from our loved ones It's nice to remember those days.

kadesma

Old 05-25-2006, 05:30 PM   #12
Contest Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by katluvscake
I am actually a little excited to try some pepper with fruit. I salt my apples when I eat them so why not pepper.
Fresh ground pepper is really nice on strawberries and/or vanilla ice cream. Also, really thick, aged balsamic vinegar is lovely on strawberries as well.

Its one of those things that if you tell someone to try it they think, "Yuck... weird!" but when they actually try it they fall in love with it.

Yum.

Old 05-25-2006, 05:41 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumblebee
Fresh ground pepper is really nice on strawberries and/or vanilla ice cream. Also, really thick, aged balsamic vinegar is lovely on strawberries as well.

Its one of those things that if you tell someone to try it they think, "Yuck... weird!" but when they actually try it they fall in love with it.

Yum.
I've never tried pepper on strawberries, now thats an idea I need to try. Several years ago my DH, saw me drooling over some aged balsamic from Italy, sooo at Christmas in a lovely wooden box, was a small bottle of very dear balsamic, it was almost like a syrup, and I hung on til spring then did the strawberry and balsamic thing..It was heaven and I now have to have them that way at least once during strawberry season..I still have some of it and have it hidden from view..Not cause I'm stingy but because my neice during a family get together, forgot her salad dressing and was about to pour my balsamic into her cruet with crisco oil!!! YIKES..I'm so glad I had some other vinegar for her to use, or I'd have had a stroke on the spot

kadesma
Old 05-25-2006, 05:50 PM   #14
Sous Chef

lol and did your niece still have her head attached or did it fall off when you yelled? :) As for strawberries and pepper? Hmmm I may try one to see how I like it, but I won't put on my whole bowl of strawberries. Also may put a very small scoop of vanilla ice cream in a bowl and add a little pepper to taste. I am not too adventuresome when it comes to trying new things, but something like fruit you can test without ruining a whole pot of food. :)
Old 05-25-2006, 06:12 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
lol and did your niece still have her head attached or did it fall off when you yelled? :) As for strawberries and pepper? Hmmm I may try one to see how I like it, but I won't put on my whole bowl of strawberries. Also may put a very small scoop of vanilla ice cream in a bowl and add a little pepper to taste. I am not too adventuresome when it comes to trying new things, but something like fruit you can test without ruining a whole pot of food. :)
yes she went home in one piece I just love these posts where we throw around ideas.You often find some delightful ways to tweak your recipe and can enjoy it more than one way. It makes putting together a party or just a family meal more fun.

kadesma
Old 05-26-2006, 03:01 AM   #16
Sous Chef

I was watching Food Network and Alton Brown fixed this recipe. Sounds a little weird with onion in it, but I am willing to try it.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci..._29470,00.html
Old 05-26-2006, 09:04 AM   #17
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Thanks for the wonderful fresh recipe with the melon season just around the corner, CJ!! I would have thought one of our faithful sweet dressings "lemon poppy seed", but a new dressing idea, too!! We have been eating lots of salads lately as Cris is wanting to get rid of some of the surplus kilos, thus we have also been experimenting with some nice dressing ideas. This sounds like a keeper!!
Old 05-27-2006, 01:35 AM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
I was watching Food Network and Alton Brown fixed this recipe. Sounds a little weird with onion in it, but I am willing to try it.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci..._29470,00.html
I've seen a one somthing like Alton's by Paula Deen using watermelon , not sure about the onion and feta, but who knows they might be a unique taste experience I'm open to all new food ideas..Will give both a try and see.
kadesma
Old 05-27-2006, 01:38 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by urmaniac13
Thanks for the wonderful fresh recipe with the melon season just around the corner, CJ!! I would have thought one of our faithful sweet dressings "lemon poppy seed", but a new dressing idea, too!! We have been eating lots of salads lately as Cris is wanting to get rid of some of the surplus kilos, thus we have also been experimenting with some nice dressing ideas. This sounds like a keeper!!
It is nice and I enjoy it, but, I'm partial to melons of all kinds. Now the lemon poppy seed dressing sounds great for this recipe, got one to share? I've never made it, and would like to try it.

kadesma
Old 05-29-2006, 06:40 PM   #20
Contest Winner

Just wanted to let you guys know that I made this on Saturday and it was a hit.... very fresh and tasty.

I made it with a honey cream cheese dipping sauce for the side instead of the sesame dressing. Next time we'll try it with the sesame dressing.

Tags
None