"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Salads & Salad Dressings
Old 03-31-2007, 05:25 PM   #1
Senior Cook
Fruit Salad

I was asked to make a fruit salad for Easter and I don't know where to begin. What to I put in it, how big should the pieces be, do I have a dressing on the side? There will be about 30 people, but there will be many other dishes, as well.
I certainly can use some suggestions.

Essiebunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 05:28 PM   #2
Essiebunny, do you have a melon baller? Start with some canteloupe and some honeydew, toss in some sliced strawberries, some diced up peach slices (canned), add some mandarin orange slices, grapes are nice too. I toss in blueberries or raspberries if I have them. I like to do some banana slices at the end but I cut that all up into some lemon juice first so it doesn't brown. Then I use the lemon juice and the juice from any tinned fruit for the dressing on the fruit salad. Mmmmmmmmmmm! Good luck.

There really aren't any rules, just make everything bite sized and you will be fine.

You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams
Alix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 06:32 PM   #3
Executive Chef
Hi Essiebunny

Whenever my friend has a bbq at her home she makes a beautiful fruit salad inside a watermelon with all kinds of fruit & paper umbrellas... similar to this:

Watermelon Basket Fruit Salad

It's not as difficult as it looks - I just half the watermelon, use a melon baller, and scoop everything inside. (You don't have to make the handle or the zigzag cuts, it's still a nice party presentation.) You could cheat & use a few cans of tropical fruit salad (drained) to fill in between the watermelon balls

I like this one, as well:

Watermelon Coconut "Cake" with Raspberry Filling

Or how about a Pineapple Boat...
knowledge.asp?akw=&catitemid=49&hlite=true&id=625& querytext=

Another Easter-y idea is Ambrosia - mini marshmallows, grapes, coconut, mandarin oranges, nuts & cool whip or sour cream (will have to look it up - or there may be a recipe here).

Edited to add: There may have been vodka involved in her watermelon (basket), but if there are children at the dinner, I would omit the booze.
mish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 06:54 PM   #4
Master Chef
If you want to liven up your Easter Celebration, add a little cherry brandy to the fruit salad. It's a great compliment to the fruit.
We get by with a little help from our friends
Constance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 10:15 PM   #5
Senior Cook
Here is an easy and really good fruit salad:

Sunshine Salad

1 can peach pie filling
4.5 oz. cool whip
1 can sweetened condensed milk
cup lemon juice
4 cans mandarin oranges, drain
1 large can pineapple tidbits, drain
1 cup tiny marshmallows
1 cup chopped pecans

Mix all ingredients and chill before serving.
GROCERY LIST: What you spend half an hour writing, then forget to take with you to the store.
JCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 01:28 AM   #6
Head Chef
I think that I have found enough good fruit salads here to last all summer. The watermelon coconut cake with raspberry filling does sound good, I'll give that a whirl in July when the melons start coming in.
"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." --- Thomas Edison
StirBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 01:50 AM   #7
Assistant Cook
Lightbulb fruit salad

Fruit salad can be made with only certain fruits such as apple,mango,pineapple,pappya,grape fruit,orange,kiwi,avacado are some fruits in which salad can be made.Either salad can be made individually with the fruits like waldrof salad,pineapple salad or fruits can be mixed to gether to make fruit salad,fruit chaat.While making salad fruits has to be cut in to dice because if u cut it in other shape the fruit may mash and it will not have good apperance.So while making salad,it has to be mixed gently.fruit salad can serve cold or at normal room temprature. Recommeded dressings are mayonnaise based,chaat,cream,honey lime,balsamic.
jennerose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 07:10 AM   #8
Sous Chef
It's good to try to have a variety of colour in it. Red skinned apples; green and red grapes; pink grapefruit; etc etc.
csalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 04:31 AM   #9
Master Chef
Originally Posted by jennerose
Fruit salad can be made with only certain fruits such as apple,mango,pineapple,pappya,grape fruit,orange,kiwi,avacado are some fruits in which salad can be made.
Not true! You can make a fruit salad from any combination of 1 or more fruits you wish! You can add any fruit to a green salad that you wish.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain
Michael in FtW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 05:45 AM   #10
Head Chef
This one is always a huge hit in our family and anywhere i take it, never any left.
1 Lg container of small curd cottage cheese
1 Lg container of coolwhip
1 lg pkg of jello flavor of your choice ( orange, rasberry, strawberry ar the best --Lime is ok rasberry my favorite)
mix the together with mixer on low until blended

1 to 2 lg can drained chunk pinneapple
1 - 2 lg can dranined Maradrin ornages
you can add more if desire i usually use 2 of each

refridge to ready to use.

One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching
letscook is offline   Reply With Quote