Garnish ideas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
yes i think it is cuz i might peel the skin off the peppers and use that instead of using the the "meat" of the pepper along with the skin. Its deffinatly getting my ideas rolling.

That's what this thread is all about - getting ideas rolling around in your head!

Good luck - you better take pictures and let us know what you do!

Garnish should never detract from the actual food on the plate. You want to see the food, not the garnish. Be careful not to take the eye to the garnish.

Why not simply dust the plate with fresh chopped herbs? Or do an even tinieer dice of the main components and simply rain a small, very small amount over the mould?

I really like that dusting with herbs idea I am gonna do that I think. I will have some cilantro for the lime vinagrette so I will use that. Good call man

;) What about not actually making the garnish but instead sprinkling some fresh edible flowers around the bottom of salad if you can find them.If not mayby some red radichio leaves to set salad on with just about 2-3 inches sticking out on the platter and a few sprigs of fresh herbs or parsley.
If your salad is already really red you could use some beilgium endive or some other pretty curly type of lettuce.
Its all about using the right complimenting colors to showcase your creation but not going overboard and it turning out looking too busy or garish.

tsi88kid said:
I really like that dusting with herbs idea I am gonna do that I think. I will have some cilantro for the lime vinagrette so I will use that. Good call man

Man????

That lovely vampyre looks like a man to you???? :ermm:

Vera kinda touched on it, and I don't have an exact picture to show you what I mean, but see how the dressing is drizzled in a ring around the salad? Do the same thing for your dish, except use individual pieces of micro greens or micro herbs and arrange them artfully on the ring of dressing.

Hahaha I was on my sidekick and I was out in the cold during a firedrill for my school I didn't notice it was a girl sorry

tsi88kid said:
Hahaha I was on my sidekick and I was out in the cold during a firedrill for my school I didn't notice it was a girl sorry

Upon checking into your profile, I notice you are a mere 17 years of life....and just as I was about to take offense to the term 'girl'....

This is a simple garnish I made for my Green Tea Soba noodle salad: using Japanese pickled ginger and one of the main ingredient - Snow pea sprouts, I rolled the ginger slices to make a small rose - very easy. Take 1 min to dress up.

img_383199_0_f3653d3d637d56bfa3963769aa85ecc5.jpg

Here is how the whole thing looks:

img_383199_1_213ea5d17a20580d996c2d24c6c2b0fd.jpg

tsi88kid said:
it will be to the side of the salad cuz its a small diced molded salad held up by cucumber slices. but I will look up the cucumber curl online and see if its something i can do.

What do you mean "molded" salad? I originally thought you meant a "congealed salad".

Ah, read on and I see what it is. Very nice. I think the tomato rose on top would be the answer--and maybe some very finely minced parsley or chives or something "scattered" around the plate to give a little something there--the way chefs garnish plates so they aren't so bare.

Last edited:
You could deep fry some very long, thin strips of parsnip, they crisp up very nicely and curl, and they are easy to use to make a tall and very good looking garnish. They are tasty too.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom