"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Salads & Salad Dressings

Old 03-05-2015, 11:07 PM   #31
Master Chef

Kayelle, since the OP has a total of 7 posts pretty much all in the first week of membership (including two in their "A fresh hello!" thread they started on Day One) and hasn't been around in over half a year, I'm pretty sure both her interest in this salad and DC has expired.

Oh! I hope she didn't use baked potatoes left in the oven overnight!

Old 03-05-2015, 11:07 PM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
You have a valid point Taxi.

Wow, you're really going to do this again Addie?
What? Ask the members to give a warm welcome to new members? Isn't that what we have always done? Or is this going to be "make Addie my whipping post again"?

Old 03-05-2015, 11:29 PM   #33
Master Chef

Sorry Addie....but please link to the post where you welcomed this new member.

Please don't chastise other members publicly for not getting to it right away....we all love to see new members and I think that's a given. We are all busy, and sometimes we just want to answer a new member's question first.

We have a new member today....did you see that?

I'm sure this will be deleted. That's fine. Just wanted to get a point across. Sheesh......
Old 03-05-2015, 11:46 PM   #34
Master Chef

I saw that you 'welcomed' her in another thread, Addie....my apologies.

I do think you're taking it a bit far as far as the 'welcoming police'.
Take care and have a good evening.
Old 03-05-2015, 11:49 PM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

We had two new members today. One from Texas and one from Canada. We also have a new member from Perth, AU. And then there is the gentle reminder I posted hoping that some of our older members would see it in the question about subbing a yellow onion in place of using a white one.

I have been guilty myself in the past of not catching the new members when they first post. So I now make a concerted effort to notice every new name and the number of posts they have made. There are several different means of receiving notices of new posts. I choose to see them first in my emails. Then if it is a name that I do not recognize, I will open that post immediately. I do know that EVERY member can look to the left of the post and see if it is a new name with only one or less than five posts credited to the name. That to me says, "Hey we have a new member." I may not have an answer to their query, but I can give them a warm welcome.

Now if that is so offensive to some of these members, then so be it. It isn't the first time I have been beaten on verbally in this forum. I would hate to think that some of the folks here would not consider me a friendly person. But if that be the case, I know where the "Ignore" button is.
Old 03-05-2015, 11:51 PM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
I saw that you 'welcomed' her in another thread, Addie....my apologies.

I do think you're taking it a bit far as far as the 'welcoming police'.
Take care and have a good evening.
Cheryl, I am not chastising anyone. I am only asking that our longtime member please be more observant and welcome our newer members. I don't think my request was written in an offensive manner.
Old 03-06-2015, 12:17 AM   #37
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Cheryl, I am not chastising anyone. I am only asking that our longtime member please be more observant and welcome our newer members. I don't think my request was written in an offensive manner.
I think you are wrong Addie. You most certainly come across as the welcome wagon police chastising the membership like children. That indeed is offensive. We are all adults here, and have no need of being scolded. Sheesh!!

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 12:30 AM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

German Potato Salad

OK. Nowhere is it written that every new person needs to be welcomed for asking a question. Sometimes they just want their question answered, and maybe they don't want to become a participating member. Some of them are also spammers as one was today. If you want to welcome them, that's nice, but certainly not necessary. The DC website is pretty straight forward, if a new person wants to introduce him/herself, it's an easy thing to do as we have an introduction forum. Even I was able to figure it out when I first got here!
Old 03-06-2015, 12:35 AM   #39
Master Chef

Thank you Dawg, and Amen!!!

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 02:45 AM   #40
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
...If you want to welcome them, that's nice, but certainly not necessary. The DC website is pretty straight forward, if a new person wants to introduce him/herself, it's an easy thing to do as we have an introduction forum....
Kinda like saying "we have an app for that"!

When I first joined, I only posted my question. Later that day/next day, I got a PM from a mod welcoming me and inviting me to tell a little about myself in the New Members forum. I would guess that is still the policy? It was a nice welcome then, I did the intro thing, and now you guys can't get rid of me!

When I think of it, I'll check for new members over in that same forum. Usually I don't remember. I also check for birthdays. Sometimes I catch them, sometimes I don't. Sometimes I remember late, but better late than never, right?

Tags
bacon, potato, potatoes, recipe, salad

German Potato Salad I was looking for a nice salad to make tonight and I found this one: [URL="http://saladmeals.org/recipe-german-potato-saladrecipe/"]German potato salad recipe[/URL] 1 Pound bacon. 3/4 cup sugar. 2 Teaspoons celery seed. 1/2 Teaspoon pepper. 1 cup vinegar. 12 cups potatoes, cooked & diced. Parsley 2 Medium onions, chopped. 1 Tablespoon salt. 1/2 cup water. 3 stars 1 reviews